036 compression release diagnosis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
before buying parts, did you diagnose the problem properly?
- was the spark arrester screen plugged?
- Is the fuel vent or fuel lines OK? try starting the saw, putting it on its side and carefully removing the fuel cap, does that help it rev?
(both of these issues can cause a saw to struggle to get to high revs).

I'd try cleaning out a carb before replacing it.
screen was not plugged.removing cap did not change anything.

screen was not plugged.removing cap did not change anything.

OK. There are plenty of helpful youtube videos on carb cleaning - disassemble a part at a time and be liberal with the carb cleaner. Is the carb pump diaphragm feel flexible not crispy?

Check the impulse line, this is often overlooked.

Diagnosis is always difficult but personally, a saw that is fine other than high revs is likely to suffer from a blockage somewhere - sawdust in air filter, fuel lines, air vent, carb, exhaust. Saws that have an air leak will get to high revs but the tuning will keep going off or you will need very strange H or L settings (far away from standard). To diagnose an air leak use soapy water and a pressure/vac tester. If you are really stuck pump the saw to 7 psi, block of the exhaust and air intakes and dunk the saw in a bucket of water.

Just ignore me if you know all this, just trying to help.

OK. There are plenty of helpful youtube videos on carb cleaning - disassemble a part at a time and be liberal with the carb cleaner. Is the carb pump diaphragm feel flexible not crispy?

Check the impulse line, this is often overlooked.

Diagnosis is always difficult but personally, a saw that is fine other than high revs is likely to suffer from a blockage somewhere - sawdust in air filter, fuel lines, air vent, carb, exhaust. Saws that have an air leak will get to high revs but the tuning will keep going off or you will need very strange H or L settings (far away from standard). To diagnose an air leak use soapy water and a pressure/vac tester. If you are really stuck pump the saw to 7 psi, block of the exhaust and air intakes and dunk the saw in a bucket of water.

Just ignore me if you know all this, just trying to help.
Took carb apart, nothing obvious,previous owner replaced fuel filter, line, impulse line,,when taking carb off noticed the intake boot was crooked, decreasing air flow ? replaced a/v cushions, straightened out boot,,seemd to run alot better, have to try cutting with it yet.

Its a zama carb,zama says to go to oem

You can call Tilloston up on the phone and talk to a human being, from America.

Tilloston makes quality kits for other manufacturers. These are, just diaphragms and gaskets, or overhaul kits1 zama kits for 034:036.png1 zama kits for 034:036 2.png.

First number is Tilloston Xchange code, 2nd is OEM code

Attachments

• Tillotson_Exchange_Catalog.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Try to get a OEM kit from carb maker. Tilloston may have good kits. Not sure?

If you are careful carb can be taken apart without tearing things. Put a little vasiline on gaskets/diaphragms and they will come off next time, without tearing.

$thil/$teal is very proud of what they $ell/rape you for.

I'm glad I have a stash before even, Ebay $tihl parts went crazy. I have a box of RS33 72 chains I got for $15 each, delivered. Some $40 pistons.
Good tip!

Back