036 crankshaft alignment/bad trade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 036 crank, and almost every other Stihl model, has a small recess in both ends of the crank. Use a heavy punch in that hole and wack the thing into place. You won’t damage anything that’s way. They always free up with a tap here or there.

If the oil pump is seated firmly and flush to the case, it’s not possible for the PTO bearing to be set too deep. That’s what sets it’s depth.

Scored saws can still have very good compression for a while. I’ve been burned on purchases before by accepting a comp check vs a piston pic.

You need to figure out now why it scored in the first place. It was likely the impulse line, but just make sure you vac check the saw.

You can likely find a used oem jug and slip a meteor in that saw for little more than your Hyway setup will run ya. That’s a great saw that’s really deserves one. Worth the money IMHO.

I started tearing another one of these down last night and although I don't need it, I wonder how one would run after Dr Al finished with it. That video with the nine pin is impressive.

I will definitely defer to the experts on here regarding saw repairs/building. You guys have wrenched on more saws than I will ever even look at.

Although not new to advanced mechanical and electrical system repairs, I am "fairly" new to wrenching on saws.

I stand corrected.

The industrial mechanics and millwrights that work for me would be fired on the spot for hammering on a bearing or shaft.

Delta T, or temperature differential, is the only "correct" way to install a fit bearing, albeit a press is occasionally needed depending on size of components. Poor installation is the #1 cause of pre-mature machine failure. #2 is out of spec machining/fabricating causing tolerance stacking, and #3 is excessive or inadequate lubrication.

But we build and service multi-million dollar production machinery and I have a healthy dose of OCD about doing everything right the first time.

I'd split the case if it were me...
You’re not wrong. Side load is a real thing, and we’re generally taliking about moving someone a thou or 2.

I do cases and bearings with the @Mattyo tool. That way, zero stress gets put on the balls in the bearing. It’s especially important with ceramic hybrid bearings. One wrong wack can cause premature failure.

With the tool above, a rarely have a adjust a thing, but a tap here or there relieves any stresses on the case or bearing more than moving the crank.

The OP is talking about moving the crank a lot. Something wrong with assembly or the AM parts. You’re advice is optimal IMHO, but if he wants to get by with a firewood saw for likely a long time, he will likely be ok with a hammer.

If I saw a guy adjusting a 100k machine with a hammer, he’d be fired in the spot.

You’re not wrong. Side load is a real thing, and we’re generally taliking about moving someone a thou or 2.

I do cases and bearings with the @Mattyo tool. That way, zero stress gets put on the balls in the bearing. It’s especially important with ceramic hybrid bearings. One wrong wack can cause premature failure.

With the tool above, a rarely have a adjust a thing, but a tap here or there relieves any stresses on the case or bearing more than moving the crank.

The OP is talking about moving the crank a lot. Something wrong with assembly or the AM parts. You’re advice is optimal IMHO, but if he wants to get by with a firewood saw for likely a long time, he will likely be ok with a hammer.

If I saw a guy adjusting a 100k machine with a hammer, he’d be fired in the spot.

They adjust million dollar machines that way in the gulf lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks to everyone who replied. I finally got back to the saw and found the crank simply wouldn’t tap back to center. I split the case and found what looks like the remains of a banjo fitting copper washer between the crank and flywheel side bearing. I’ve no idea what they set out to accomplish but I’d say it didn’t work. I’m going to reassemble with new aftermarket bearings, hyway cylinder, and OEM seals and gaskets. If it survives a long weekend in the woods it’s going to a local auction.

I appreciate all the help as always!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back