036 not oiling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenton85

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have just bought and rebuilt the top end on a 036 pro and now it will pour oil out right after I clean it but won't oil after I make the first cut through 15 inch hickory, I take the bar off and clean it and the saw and it will oil but as soon as I start cutting it quits again, the saw dust is baking on the chain, I've tried three different bar oils and none make a difference, also it's a brand new Stihl 20 inch bar and chain

Thanks I figured it out, I took it apart and the drum had a 1128 160 2900 for a 440/460 that the previous owner must have put on it and it didn't let the worm gear set all the way in the notch causing the end to sear off.

Interesting. I was going to recommend taking the clutch off and checking out the oil pump. But since you said it oiled at first, i figured the pump was running fine.
but now explained, it all makes sense.

Thanks for the info, I wished I would have waited before buying a new drum,rim and bearing, I didn't know it was an upgrade or I would have put a 1128 back on. I didn't pay attention to the clutch number, would it also be 1128? I replaced with a Oregon 34162x type A, I didn't compare them in size so will the new one cause any problems

by drum you mean sprocket?
did the oregon say it was compatible with that saw?
all sprockets made with slight different measurements/sizes to correctly fit snug into place.
also try to make sure its got the same pitch as the chain you're running

The clutch doesn't change with the upgrade. The bearing is larger and it doesn't grenade like the small ones originally installed. Will only take the larger rims.

Latest posts

Back