036 pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowhog

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Fellow is selling a Stihl 036 pro that he says needs crank seals for 100.00. Worth messing with?

I would say yes. So long as the leaking crank seals didn't fry the top end, which is possible. But the seals themselves are cheap and easy to replace. Pull the muffler and look at the piston, if it's clean, I would say snatch it up.

I like my 036 an awful lot. Try offering $75. Hard to lose money on it at that price point (or even at $100). Part it out if need be.

The crank bearings need to be checked for play. Usually the clutch side is bad more often than the flywheel side, in my experience. Pull up push down on the crank shaft ends, rotate a bit and repeat all the way around a few times, zero play is good, any play is bad. The 1125 series Stihls are getting up there in age and many that I see are in need of bearings and seals. If it needs bearings then price the clutch side bearing from your OEM parts source. Flywheel side, gaskets and seals can be had from aftermarket, OEM on the clutch side bearing.

Just got off the phone with the guy. He said a friend did a vacuum test and its the seal on the clutch side. Also told me the bearings have no play. I asked if the cylinder and piston were good and he told me they didn't check so he's not sure. Wouldn't A guy check the piston and cylinder when he did a vacuum test and had the muffler off the engine?

Just got off the phone with the guy. He said a friend did a vacuum test and its the seal on the clutch side. Also told me the bearings have no play. I asked if the cylinder and piston were good and he told me they didn't check so he's not sure. Wouldn't A guy check the piston and cylinder when he did a vacuum test and had the muffler off the engine?
You would think that someone that knew enough about saws to do a vacuum test would take a peek at the piston while he was in there. But, some people don't think like that. I'd say it's worth $100. Certainly if the piston is good. If the piston is shot, but the cylinder can be cleaned up, I'd say it's still worth $100. Especially if the plastics are nice.

what is up today...guy wants to know it a 262 is worth 150 bucks nother dude gets a 372 for what..200? poster wants to know if a 036 is worth messing with for 150...I guess the deals come in waves...

Latest posts

Back