036PRO with 28" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll get away with it, but you're definitely into 044 territory with that bar. CAD rules do dictate that if you own a bar that long, you now need to look for a saw that will suit it. Heck, I've applied this rule liberally. Just having a top cover around for a desirable saw means that I've got to build up a saw to go under it!

Is that a 28" bar. I see your running full comp. How does it cut.

it's a 32". full comp square. use it for knottin mostly, but have had it buried in df . not fast but gets it done. orifice is opened up a little and the oiler is cranked up. no oiling prob.

I agree, keep the 20" bar on and cut from both sides. You and your saw will be happier. You will have to cut from both sides with the 28" bar on those 36" trees anyway, so you might as well just run the 20" bar.

I agree and it will be a lot faster than trying to use a 28".

What is the fascination with long bars on small saws? More inches can get you into more trouble especially in storm cleanup work where you work often in less than ideal conditions.
Horses for courses, you wouldn't pull a semi trailer with a Honda, so why put oversize bars on small saws?

What is the fascination with long bars on small saws? More inches can get you into more trouble especially in storm cleanup work where you work often in less than ideal conditions.
Horses for courses, you wouldn't pull a semi trailer with a Honda, so why put oversize bars on small saws?

Poor people got poor ways!
Sometimes it is a better option to pull a long bar with a small saw than have to buy a big saw!
The right saw (and the 036 is a good example) will do a good job with a bar much longer than normal.

Mike

Well test this pig out and shoot some video, I wanna see how this works. I'm thinking 036PRO is gonna be my next investment.

Sometimes it is a better option to pull a long bar with a small saw than have to buy a big saw!
The right saw (and the 036 is a good example) will do a good job with a bar much longer than normal.

Mike

I take that on board, but still pose the question. Is it the BEST option, a 20" bar will handle some damn big trees and be a lot more handy into the bargain. I question the true need for many big bars in the first place, sure they look good, I won't deny that, but they cause more friction, upset the balance of small saws and, unless your storms are a lot more orderly than ours, pose a definite hazard when working in close quarters, simply getting in the way.
For many years I ran a 55cc saw with a 20" bar - something I would never do now as I learned that 55cc = 16" in our hardwood to be truly happy. Based on our timbers 20" is 70cc territory 28" is more like 85-95cc, I realise that your timbers are different.
It seems that many people believe that longer bars make the saw better, in a great many cases they detract from the performance.
End of the day, if someone want's to run a 28" bar on whatever, that is their choice, however I would bet that the same saw with a bar more commensurate with its size will outperform it and be more pleasant to use in to the bargain.

Mike

How "good" it works will be depends on a lot of factors, and the expectations of the user is a big factor....:msp_smile:

I take that on board, but still pose the question. Is it the BEST option, a 20" bar will handle some damn big trees and be a lot more handy into the bargain. I question the true need for many big bars in the first place, sure they look good, I won't deny that, but they cause more friction, upset the balance of small saws and, unless your storms are a lot more orderly than ours, pose a definite hazard when working in close quarters, simply getting in the way.
For many years I ran a 55cc saw with a 20" bar - something I would never do now as I learned that 55cc = 16" in our hardwood to be truly happy. Based on our timbers 20" is 70cc territory 28" is more like 85-95cc, I realise that your timbers are different.
It seems that many people believe that longer bars make the saw better, in a great many cases they detract from the performance.
End of the day, if someone want's to run a 28" bar on whatever, that is their choice, however I would bet that the same saw with a bar more commensurate with its size will outperform it and be more pleasant to use in to the bargain.

You have several valid points! :agree2:

Tried out the new bar today

So I finely got a chance to try out the 28" bar. It did pretty well with the 036 Pro. Just have to let the chain do the work and not the saw. Cut a few 25" to 28" red oaks, smaller maples and white pines, the largest pine was 30". The saw was getting pretty heavy by the end of the day.

attachment.php

attachment.php

So I finely got a chance to try out the 28" bar. It did pretty well with the 036 Pro. Just have to let the chain do the work and not the saw. Cut a few 25" to 28" red oaks, smaller maples and white pines, the largest pine was 30". The saw was getting pretty heavy by the end of the day.

QUOTE]

Damn!!!
I wish I'd said that!!!

Mike

Glad your set-up is working out for you. Sure looks like you should have had a little fun. I had no doubt you would love the 036Pro. I have sure enjoyed mine. If you gather more equipment experiment a little until you get the set-up you like best and stick with it until you have reason to change. We all have preferences that others don't or won't appreciate, particularly if you are primarily out to get the job done at your own pace as opposed to trying to set some new performance standard. Thanks for posting. Ron

Where in Monson are you working? I was working at my best friends house or where it was on waid rd. We used a 372xp on like 2 trees. Everything else was cut with my 026, a ms260, a 015, stihl and a 345 and a 262xp with 16-20" bars. The small light saws were better in the mangled mess. But it's always nice to have a big bar. Now you need a big saw!

Ideal bar length on an 036 is 18" and ideal tree diameter is 15" that's where an 036 can't be beat by anything except souped-up engines in a 50cc chassis, the old 036 is full pro and no modern 361 with skimpy oil delivery, squirts as much as you want, long bars are handy on fat logs, you don't have to worry about joining up the cuts, 30" is no sweat to an 036 with a sharp chain, preferably with the teeth well worn down. But if there's mega-piles of logs to do then 95cc munches through anything put in front of it

I've been helping out doing some cleanup work after the tornado in Monson Mass. Some of the tree damage is up to about 36" in diameter. I decided get get a longer bar for the 036PRO. I picked up a 28" bar with Stihl RSLFK full skip chain. How well is this going to cut. The literature for the saw says it can handle a 28"bar. View attachment 189170
I do know that I need to getsome double bevel files for sharpening and it will take some patience.

Jay

P.S. I get learned how to make a picture appear a post and they changed it.

189170d1309565886-036pro-28in-bar-jpg

Jay:

Might be worth cleaning the clutch drum with brake clean and red scotch bright and the friction part of the clutch weights as well...I have found that if they are good and clean and dry the clutch will "grip" better and really help with and agressive chain...good luch with the clean up need any help still i am in Harvard Mass.

good luck
sapcan

HI Sapcan,

I have had the saw since 1998 and am only on my third chain, not including the 28" b/c. Never have had the clutch off. I think I may take a look at it Sunday. Will be going back out to Monson again tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jay

25"

I have a nice shiny 25" bar I would gladly trade if you find that is too much... it would look nice on my 660... Ive run the 25 on my 361 in a pinch and it will move it an cut decent in hardwood as long as you let the saw do the work and not try an muscle it.

Latest posts

Back