572xp or 395xp for 28-36” B&C?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodgkins Tree Removal

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am finally about to replace my MS461 76cc with either a 572 or 395. I have a 60cc saw with a 20” bar that I use for most of my felling and bucking. The 461 typically has a 28” bar on it, but I do get into some real big trees sometimes and then I use a 36” bar. It’s underpowered for the 36” and it doesn’t oil enough either.

My first thought is to just buy the 395 because I know it won’t disappoint me in the power department. However, I like the weight of the 572 a little better. Looking for experienced input please. And no, I am not buying them both.😄

How much will you be running a 36” bar on it? Are you heavy handed? Are you planning on leaving it stock? The 572 is only 70 cc saw and that’s pushing it for a 36” bar in stock form. If you’re just needing it to pull a 36 occasionally but it’ll handle the 28 quite well all the time. Kevin’s right a 461 is a bigger saw and will pull a longer bar better than the 572. A ported 572 though will handle it quite well, super smooth and great on fuel

How much will you be running a 36” bar on it? Are you heavy handed? Are you planning on leaving it stock? The 572 is only 70 cc saw and that’s pushing it for a 36” bar in stock form. If you’re just needing it to pull a 36 occasionally but it’ll handle the 28 quite well all the time. Kevin’s right a 461 is a bigger saw and will pull a longer bar better than the 572. A ported 572 though will handle it quite well, super smooth and great on fuel.
I hardly ever run the 36” bar. Whichever saw I buy will live in the truck with a 28 on it. I run my 60cc saw as much as possible because it is light and my back doesn’t always want to work as much as I do.
I will at least run an aftermarket or modified muffler on it. I have never had a saw ported, but I would be willing to have it ported if need be.
What do you mean by heavy handed?

I hardly ever run the 36” bar. Whichever saw I buy will live in the truck with a 28 on it. I run my 60cc saw as much as possible because it is light and my back doesn’t always want to work as much as I do.
I will at least run an aftermarket or modified muffler on it. I have never had a saw ported, but I would be willing to have it ported if need be.
What do you mean by heavy handed?
Always digging in with the spikes instead of letting a sharp chain and saw do its thing. I have 2 ported 572’s and love them. They live with 28’s on them but have ran 32 and 36 on them without any problems but I have a 592 also so that gets the long bar work now

I realize that my statement is "apples and oranges" but here goes...

My 372XP (not a 572XP) can handle a 28" bar but it really loves the 24". I cut mostly softwoods (SPF) here in Utah, so the 28" works OK. However, my "go-to" saw for 28" + is the 592XP.

(Buy the 592XP and don't look back. Amazing saw.)

JQ

I realize that my statement is "apples and oranges" but here goes...

My 372XP (not a 572XP) can handle a 28" bar but it really loves the 24". I cut mostly softwoods (SPF) here in Utah, so the 28" works OK. However, my "go-to" saw for 28" + is the 592XP.

(Buy the 592XP and don't look back. Amazing saw.)

JQ
Yes I agree a 592 is an amazing saw for sure, the 572 is a dam good one as well as I have them both

I have a pair of 572's. They will pull the 36" ok. Ported they absolutely rock. The vibration dampening is much better than any Stihl in my opinion. I am going sellinh one of mine if you are interested.

Being in the northeast, that timber is HARD! We have several 572s in the parks and generally they have 24s on them occasionally we'll run a 28" if its cutting pine ,not Hickory.
The 395xp doesn't disappoint in any bar length and if its duty is to get the bigguns on the ground, you can move to a smaller saw afterwards.
Porting a 70cc saw can really be a miraculous effect but when you start looking at the results of a ported 395 it's no comparison, 42" bar territory comfortably.

Id rather the 395, but it's not a good felling saw. The 390xp would be the best option. Have both. Both good saws, but the 395 just has too much bulk and not as handy to sling around. I pretty much reserve that for running the mill. The 585/592 would be my next option rather then a 395. But if your dealer truly can't or won't get another model of saw then the 395 would be the natural choice, there are just better options in a felling saw.

I have serious doubts a 572 can properly oil a 36" bar. It barely kept oil on a 32" bar the one time I ran it.

It's sweet spot is 28"

For 32-36" regularly, and sometimes a 42", go with the 390. If no 390's, go with the 395.
I’d get a 592 before a 390 or 395. The OP said the saw will be mostly be used with a 28 any way so I say the 572 would be his best choice.

Back