Stihl to Husky conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodgkins Tree Removal

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I will start at the beginning. I started a tree removal business in May of 2022. I did some research and decided to buy used Stihl saws except for my climbing saw. I bought a new Echo 355T and I have loved it ever since I pulled the limiters out of it about a month ago. I have an ms270 and an ms461. The guy I bought the 461 from wrecked it by putting plastic screws (large coarse thread) in to machine screw (fine thread) holes.
The only local Stihl dealer is impossible to get along with anymore, but the local Husky dealer is a great guy whom I have also rented a lot of equipment from. The 461 is miserable to use at this point and I am tired of throwing good money at a bad saw. I do run a 36” bar more than anything to “stand up and buck” (thank you, Buckin’ Billy Ray!) and because I do cut many large trees here in New Hampshire.
The 461 is a 76cc for those that may not know. While it is a little anemic at times with the 36” bar it’s a fair trade-off for a 14.6lb. Power head.
This all leads to my question. What new Husqvarna saw will be a suitable replacement for my ms461 and will run a 36” bar? Thank you all in advance.

I will start at the beginning. I started a tree removal business in May of 2022. I did some research and decided to buy used Stihl saws except for my climbing saw. I bought a new Echo 355T and I have loved it ever since I pulled the limiters out of it about a month ago. I have an ms270 and an ms461. The guy I bought the 461 from wrecked it by putting plastic screws (large coarse thread) in to machine screw (fine thread) holes.
The only local Stihl dealer is impossible to get along with anymore, but the local Husky dealer is a great guy whom I have also rented a lot of equipment from. The 461 is miserable to use at this point and I am tired of throwing good money at a bad saw. I do run a 36” bar more than anything to “stand up and buck” (thank you, Buckin’ Billy Ray!) and because I do cut many large trees here in New Hampshire.
The 461 is a 76cc for those that may not know. While it is a little anemic at times with the 36” bar it’s a fair trade-off for a 14.6lb. Power head.
This all leads to my question. What new Husqvarna saw will be a suitable replacement for my ms461 and will run a 36” bar? Thank you all in advance.
Why ask us and not the great guy local Husky dealer?

Why ask us and not the great guy local Husky dealer?
Mainly because I am looking for feedback from someone that runs a comparable Husky saw on the regular. I know he isn’t going to intentionally steer me wrong, but I need to know if I am comparing apples to apples. I know Husqvarna is just as good a brand as Stihl. What I don’t know is how the power is going to compare between a 20 year old saw and a brand new saw with newer emission standards and what not.

390xp is a little heavier(but not much) but bit larger engine and is very reliable
That is one of the saws I am considering. I went in and told him that I was looking for a 75-80 cc saw that I would need to pull a buried 36” bar on from time to time. I believe his recommendation was the 372 or 572. My research shows that these are 71-72 CC’s ( I can’t remember). I only talked to him about new saws briefly because I was running late. I am really looking for some real world feedback on the Husqvarna saws. I have never run one, and I don’t want to buy one for $1300-$1500 and be unhappy with it.

That is one of the saws I am considering. I went in and told him that I was looking for a 75-80 cc saw that I would need to pull a buried 36” bar on from time to time. I believe his recommendation was the 372 or 572. My research shows that these are 71-72 CC’s ( I can’t remember). I only talked to him about new saws briefly because I was running late. I am really looking for some real world feedback on the Husqvarna saws. I have never run one, and I don’t want to buy one for $1300-$1500 and be unhappy with it.
I’ve had a 572 for a few years and it’s been a decent saw. Never ran a 36” bar on it though.

If I were in your place a 395xp or 3120xp 😁😎

The old saying there is no replacement for displacement is very true for me. There were giant killers back in the day a Yamaha rd 350 would race against 750 cc models and do well. Getting by on a budget is hard about everyone does it. My big bar saws are a 394 and 298 Husqvarna the 372 I just run 20 inch. I would get a skip tooth chain takes a little less power and much faster to sharpen

572xp is the same class , but 36” bar is pushing it for bar size maybe ported possibly. but oiling is gonna be ur issue, if you really need a 36” bar size saw 592xp would be the saw, but a couple pounds heavier .

Attachments

• F9819153-70EB-4A41-9876-C0CF95F3E15C.jpeg
    F9819153-70EB-4A41-9876-C0CF95F3E15C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Not following here…..but it’s early and I’m still on cup #1.
Screws that thread into plastic have large coarse threads. Screws that thread into metal have fine threads. The previous owner of the saw must have had a bunch of the plastic screws because he put 80% of the saw together with them.

The old saying there is no replacement for displacement is very true for me. There were giant killers back in the day a Yamaha rd 350 would race against 750 cc models and do well. Getting by on a budget is hard about everyone does it. My big bar saws are a 394 and 298 Husqvarna the 372 I just run 20 inch. I would get a skip tooth chain takes a little less power and much faster to sharpen
nobody home.....

Latest posts

Back