038 impulse line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What needs to come off of a 038 Stihl to replace a impulse line?
Or do I just use some long needle nose pliers ?
It looks kind of hard to get to.
Also where can I get a carb kit for it, I priced one at the Stihl dealer and he told me to sit down first. $48.00 (Bing 48A101).

Thanks
Dan

danl said:
What needs to come off of a 038 Stihl to replace a impulse line?
Or do I just use some long needle nose pliers ?
It looks kind of hard to get to.
Also where can I get a carb kit for it, I priced one at the Stihl dealer and he told me to sit down first. $48.00 (Bing 48A101).

Thanks
Dan

Last one I replaced I just used a long slim needle nose and was no problem.
That kit sounds high. Did he give you the part number, I'd like to check that..

He didn't give me a part number.
There are some partial kits on Ebay for a few dollars but I don't think they have the welch plugs in them.

danl said:
He didn't give me a part number.
There are some partial kits on Ebay for a few dollars but I don't think they have the welch plugs in them.

If your dealer is nearby go back in there and get that part number for the carb kit. I can check that number here at home and tell you what its suppose to cost. It may well be 48.00 but I'd like to check it anyway for that sounds high compared to most carb kits.....

That is the correct list price for the genuine Stihl Bing kit... You can buy the aftermarket kit for MUCH less, but it won't contain the metering arm or needle valve, and a few other small parts you probably won't need. In my experience, the Bing metering arm almost never fails - unlike the Walbro/Zama/tillitson, the Bing arm is molded nylon.

You won't need the welch plug - the carb opens up so you can see all the low progression jets.

The Bing carbs are the best made... Pity they are so expensive... Don't see them in many saws..

Thanks for the replies.
I may not even need a kit period, I have cleaned the carb a few times and thought maybe I should replace the gaskets and diaphram this time.
They all come apart easy and seem pliable.

It quit on me a few days ago and when I took the carb apart it looked like there was fine sawdust in it. Could that be the filter coming apart?
The filter looked ok. Replaced it and the fuel line anyway.

Still can't figure out how to get to that impulse line. I can see it, and could remove it, just not sure I could get the new one on it.

Thanks
Dan

Yes... the filter is supposed to be replaced every year... Make sure your inlet screen is not blocked and the fuel hose is flushed out - they trap particles in the "wrinkles".

Take off the top shroud and recoil cover. Undo the top left mount, and lever the tank/case apart slightly. Take off the carb, lever the old hose off the crankcase with screwdriver, and remove the old hose from the carb side.

Insert the new hose from the carb box side and use a pair of long curved surgical forceps to attach it to the crankcase nipple. Dead easy once you done it a bunch of times ;)

Thanks

So all I have to do is follow your instructions and repeat the process a dozen or so times and then I can do it with my eyes closed? Right.
I will do it this evening.
Dan

Latest posts

Back