038 Magnum 2 vs 044/046 MS440?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

038Mag2NC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright I've been lurking for a while and I think I'm starting to get this terrible CAD!! I currently have tree saws, an 021, a muffler modded 029 Super, and an 038 Mag 2. I am looking to add another one to the stable but cant decide on what. I would prefer to stay with Stihl but The 6401 Makita has caught my eye. But here is my main question being that I already have the 38mag2 would I be making the right decision with an 044/046 MS460 or would I be better of with a MS660. I just don't see the sense In having two saw that close in power, thanks guys.
:greenchainsaw:

I have an 038 mag and recently picked up a 6401. The power on the 6401 is very similar to the 038, despite the cc difference. I think you would notice a good difference between a 460 and 038. I added the 6401 because of the easy upgrade and bang for your buck. When I put a bigger cylinder on the 6401, it should outperform a 460. I wanted to stay with Stihl, but the price point was too much for me to ignore.

I can't say much about the 440 or 660, but the 660 is a big step up in power (and weight). Depending on your needs (or wants) the 660 may be the way to go. Just don't overlook that 6401 - there are some good deals on used out there.

The 038Mag2 and an 044/440 are very close in power with the 038 being a tad heavier.

i have no 044/046 experience.............

but i know a lot about the 038m. if you are going to step up, step up to 066 or something significantly larger than your 038m. i have the 038m and the 066 and you can tell the difference.
with a 046 you may not see as much difference in the power......
so why do it?

I'm going to go with Volks, step up to the 660. I prefer the 440 though due to is being a new"er" model than the 038. All 3 are bad A saws!

Thanks for the input guys, so does anyone else have any experience with the 6401? I've heard some horror stories about the larger P/C kits being poor quality.

This has been talked about a lot on here. By all accounts, the OEM 7900 p&c is good quality. The bb kit quality appears to be questionable, but there are more success stories than failures. There was a very recent thread on this. Check it out.

Thanks for the input guys, so does anyone else have any experience with the 6401? I've heard some horror stories about the larger P/C kits being poor quality.

i have also owned the 6401.
in stock form it is a fine saw, with good antivibe, and cuts fairly fast but it is not to be considered a step up in power over the 038m. it is a tough comparison. the two saws are built for different needs. the 6401 turns fast and the 038m has torque to pull.

if you were to buy a 6401 intentionally to upgrade to a 7900, then by all means do it. my 7900 will smack around my 038m and it will do just about everything my 066 will do with good antivibe and at less weight.

i have also owned the 6401.
in stock form it is a fine saw, with good antivibe, and cuts fairly fast but it is not to be considered a step up in power over the 038m. it is a tough comparison. the two saws are built for different needs. the 6401 turns fast and the 038m has torque to pull.

if you were to buy a 6401 intentionally to upgrade to a 7900, then by all means do it. my 7900 will smack around my 038m and it will do just about everything my 066 will do with good antivibe and at less weight.

That seems to be what I've noticed with the 038/ 6401 so far. 6401 has less torque, but cuts about as fast. I do intend to add a new p&c, which would make it a winner.

Its really hard to beat that torque of a 038 Mag2 , I still run mine alot out here (28-30` Bar ,Full wrap,Muff mod etc) great firewood saw , a little heavy for contract falling .

038MagII

I have a 038 that I'm gonna try to top with a 038mag P&C. i"ve got 2 Mag cyl's one to port on and one to leave stock for the initial setup.

I've got a couple 044's but I don't cut enough wood to notice the difference much between the bigger saws... yet.

I've got some setup to do.

I have a 038 that I'm gonna try to top with a 038mag P&C. i"ve got 2 Mag cyl's one to port on and one to leave stock for the initial setup.

I've got a couple 044's but I don't cut enough wood to notice the difference much between the bigger saws... yet.

I've got some setup to do.

Not sure, but I think I had problems trying to make a Mag out of an 038.
Gypo

Latest posts

Back