038 magnum or 041 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
which of these would you prefer
The 038 magnum

or the 041 super

Attachments

• 038 magnum.jpg
    038 magnum.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 041 Super.jpg
    041 Super.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 60
I've run both with 28" bars and the 038 mag wins hands down. In fact the 038 mag isn't far behind an 044 in performance. The 041 super has torque but way less speed and seems heavier.

My 038 Mag is a rocket with square ground and an 8 pin rim. I never really cared for the 038's until a year or so ago. That 041 sure looks to be in fine shape though.

038 100% even more if it's the Brazilian made one

How can I tell if one is made in Brazil ? I have a 038 Mag ll the clutch cover has a sticker that as much as can read I think it says made in Brazil . What makes them better ?

First digit (After 1981);
1=Germany
2=USA
3=Brazil
4=China
6=Various
9=Japan

My SE # is 324583685 so I'm assuming its made in Brazil . Does anyone know why or if they are better than others ?

My SE # is 324583685 so I'm assuming its made in Brazil . Does anyone know why or if they are better than others ?

They aren't better in the sense that they are made in Brazil. Magnums and Magnum II's are more desirable than the others because they were larger in displacement, and noticeably stronger than the standard and super models. The last few years of the 038's were made in Brazil (or at least the Mag II's were), just where Stihl decided to move production. I have said before, I don't know why anyone would want a Mag II over a Magnum, other than just wanting a late run 038.

Mag ll sounds better I guess .

I think that is probably the jist of it lol. But honestly, I hold Stihl in different regards as far as where their stuff is made. I think they are a company that invested a LOT of time and money into their manufacturing facilities outside of Germany, and it shows. I haven't seen where they have made a second rate product due to where it was manufactured- they seem to hold a tighter control on facilities outside of their motherland than other companies that have made similar ventures.

038 Mag vs 038 Mag II

They aren't better in the sense that they are made in Brazil. Magnums and Magnum II's are more desirable than the others because they were larger in displacement, and noticeably stronger than the standard and super models. The last few years of the 038's were made in Brazil (or at least the Mag II's were), just where Stihl decided to move production. I have said before, I don't know why anyone would want a Mag II over a Magnum, other than just wanting a late run 038.

I believe the Mag II is 72cc, which makes it more desirable.

I believe the Mag II is 72cc, which makes it more desirable.

Yes, as is the Magnum. Most Mag II's were made in Brazil (if not all), and the Magnums were made in Germany. Seems that stigma would even render the Magnums the most desirable, just seems like Mag II's are talked about more than any other 038 variety.

Last edited:
which of these would you prefer
The 038 magnum

or the 041 super

If they are in similar condition, 038 all the way.

I really like my 041 Super, but more out of nostalgia I think. Even at 72cc they won't cut with more modern 70+ saws, 038 magnum included.

Back