038 magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrangler66

Reaction score
I have a made in brazil 038 magnum stihl chain saw. It's been a great saw but the last 4 years been having problems with the ignition module. Lucky if one lasts the winter and at about $200 a pop to have it changed at my stihl dealer I could of bought a new saw. Is anyone else having this problem or is my dealer not installing them properly? My dealer says the replacement modules are poorly made and I should just buy a new saw.

I have an 039 AV Super Pro and have never had a problem with it and I have had it since 1986 or so. I hope the boys here and shed some light for you.

Dog_River

I have a made in brazil 038 magnum stihl chain saw. It's been a great saw but the last 4 years been having problems with the ignition module. Lucky if one lasts the winter and at about $200 a pop to have it changed at my stihl dealer I could of bought a new saw. Is anyone else having this problem or is my dealer not installing them properly? My dealer says the replacement modules are poorly made and I should just buy a new saw.

I dont think I ever had an ignition go bad on any of my Stihls including a few 038s in 20 years! I guess it happens but the chances of a new one going bad are not likely at all. The saw in question has no spark?

Need to move this discussion to the proper forum - http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/, you'll get more responses.

I'd strip one of the 038 carcasses I have before using Chi-Com parts.

You can say what you want but I have one of Bailey's aftermarket piston and cylinders installed on my saw and it has now gotten almost as many hours as the original. It was $120 delivered to my door vs over $300 for one from the dealer. I like original Sthil parts as much as the next guy, but sometimes you just have to be realistic.

Latest posts

Back