038 super value.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rw05

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a guy trying to sell me a 038 super. He won’t go below 250 for it. The saw seems to be in good shape and working order. Cosmetically it looks like it’s hardly been used.The bar and chain that’s on it has seen it’s better days. I’ve searched and found a lot of info on the magnums but nothing on the 038 supers. Is it worth what he’s asking or would I be better off just walking?

I would say, $250 for a nice 038S is reasonable...if it is all OEM and is running good. But, that only applies if an 038S is really the saw you want.

The 038S strikes me as a lot of weight for the power.

036 or 044, to me, seem to be considerably better options.

Roy

I see your point. These are the best pictures I can get him to send me. The guy keeps changing up his story first it was used in a failed lawn care business. Then he bought it to cut down a couple trees in his yard. He’s also claiming he bought it from a stihl dealer which I don’t know of any around here that sell used saws. He’s really pushing me towards walking away.

Attachments

• FAD18FC9-58B8-4B82-87A1-A69CA325D65E.png
    FAD18FC9-58B8-4B82-87A1-A69CA325D65E.png
    7.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 5BB2BEE4-AA13-4690-A474-6172A2CED989.png
    5BB2BEE4-AA13-4690-A474-6172A2CED989.png
    10.4 MB · Views: 3
  • AC81AAF9-D0AD-4EF3-BB8C-DD2890C88C54.png
    AC81AAF9-D0AD-4EF3-BB8C-DD2890C88C54.png
    12.1 MB · Views: 2
I just sold one on ebay. Let it go to auction as clearly a non running, parts saw and it went for $225 with needing at least a top end. The guy had to pay another 25$ in shipping, so the buyer payed your guys asking, for a non- running 038 super. I had a good 24" (pretty sure. at least anyway) bar and chain on it.

He plans to, and no doubt already has, put a magnum top end on it and it's probably back to cutting wood again already. These things are torque monsters. Even in the 038 super form, I remember being able to lean right on that saw as it cut. Old and heavy but man, I still miss it! Haven't run one in over 15 years. They don't make saws with the torque like this under 80cc anymore, than I'm aware of. If it runs, yeah I can understand why he wont take take any less for it. Go run it first. He must have some logs around so you can try it out? I bet you'll understand after making a couple cuts.

I'll say this; If I had a running 038 super, I wouldn't bother selling it for $250. I'd rather keep the saw, even if just for a good backup. If saws wore sunglasses, this is the saw cool enough to ware 'em. :cool:

Woah, correction. My bad. I was way off. I just checked ebay and my parts, non running 038 super went for more than that! The buyer payed:
1 item$255.25
Shipping$70.75
Tax*$22.84
Order total$348.84

My description was a loud and clear, non running, parts saw. This just sold the end of Feb.
I had just hoarded it and had it sitting in the shed for well over a decade lol. I just let the bidders decide it's worth. Started at $100 w/ no reserve.
Hope this helps. The reason I didn't recall correct was because I just sold a bunch of old non running saws at the same time. Those are the legit copy and paste numbers from my ebay order info right there. I should of checked first for ya. Just thought I better verify that. Glad I did. I was off on that one. As you can see, these saws are well liked. Check out ebay from time to time for all of them. See what's there for all 3. There was an 038 - 038 super and 038 magnum. That will help you see if it's a good deal too.

I dunno why Stihl used to be stingy with their numbers so to use 038 for 3 different size saws lol but they did.

I have 4 038s.

The first two I got from a logger friend for free. One is a parts carcass, 038S I think, it's beat? The other was a 038M, non running and filthy. I cleaned the latter up and it still runs great. Carb/airbox/recoil/clutch caked with junk, AV mounts worn and needed airfilter. After an afternoon of cleanup it ran so good I brought a new ES bar and RC chain and above parts. Piston still looks great through ex port. This was 20 years ago and I still use it for my cordwood every year. Dependable as the sunrise.

The other two were straight gassed 038S , I also got free. These were ones I did 038M conversions on. One with a NOS OEM P/C, the other with an Italian Tecomec kit. Both run as strong/stronger than the 038M as I cleaned up the ports and opened the mufflers up. No pics handy on those.

Sometimes you find deals...........I found a 026 on Craig's for $95, another filthy saw but ran great after clean up, only a little bit in parts on that one (rim sprocket, chain, airfilter).....and a straight gassed 036 for free, I rebuilt with OEM parts, that came out nice but cost me ~$230 in OEM parts I shopped for (OEM piston kit, bar/chain, clutch upgrade, hoses, filters, gasket set, carb kit.......).

Shopping around and being lucky sometimes works out if you don't need a saw right then.

Attachments

• 026cleaned up.jpg
    026cleaned up.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 026 CL.jpeg
    026 CL.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • freebee036.jpg
    freebee036.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 1
  • freebee036a.jpg
    freebee036a.jpg