039 ring gap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1953greg

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
what is the correct ring gap for a stihl 039. this is my first ring job on a chain saw. is there any tricks or attention points i need to be aware of? any advice appreciated in advance. thanks 1953greg

There is no "gap" to set. The new rings are gapped from the factory. Just make sure the old ring groves are clean - use a piece of broken ring to gently clean them out..

In my experiance, a Stihl saw rarely needs just new rings. Usually the piston skirt is tapered and you really should just replace the piston and rings at the same time. Often the piston is the problem, and the old rings are "o.k." (but don't use them).

Make sure you install them with the pin radius up the right way, or the rings will not go into the cylinder (and you'll break them!). Do you have the Dirko sealer to reseal the crankcase?

A very light hone on the cylinder with a ball hone will help the rings bed in.

Hi,

I understand "ring gap" as the distance between the ends of the ring while the ring is inserted in the cylinder.

I used a feeler gage for a 024 and a 026 and measured 0.55mm.
I don't know much about this, but it feels like a lot to me.

Would that be time for new rings?

Thanks

wodbutchr said:
Hi,

I understand "ring gap" as the distance between the ends of the ring while the ring is inserted in the cylinder.

I used a feeler gage for a 024 and a 026 and measured 0.55mm.
I don't know much about this, but it feels like a lot to me.

Would that be time for new rings?

Thanks[/QUOTE
Husky say at 1mm,you have to replace it.But by experience i would say at .06mm,i would change it,so you are close to limit.The same apply to Stihl.

Latest posts

Back