039 vs pro saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickytune

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been looking for a mid size used saw and have found a very tidy 039 farm boss. About 40% of the price of a new equivalent. Is it worth going to a pro saw for more money that has seen a lot more work? I don't use saws all that often. It's more just a hobby cutting things up. I will prob never wear either out. But I do like to modify everything so I'm unsure about the clashell design. This one has flippy caps but unsure of the year.

An 039 with flippy caps? That's... odd. I thought the flippy caps came in with the switch to the MSxxx model designation...

Anyway, I've got an older 039 (no flippy caps!) and it's my "go to" saw for general purpose work. I haven't heavily modded it, just opened up the muffler and retuned, plenty of grunt for bucking anything that doesn't need the 066 with a 30" bar. Comfortable to use for long periods, AV seems up to the job. I'd buy another one if this one went walkabout.

That saw is a very good platform and has probably cut as much if not more firewood than most of the PRO model saws. It's the same body as the 029/290 but has the power a saw that weight should. If it's a decent deal I would pick it up and keep looking for a deal on you PRO saw.

I don't think the antivibe is as good on the 290/390.

I started out my business years ago with hand cutting using a 290. I remember waking up in the mornings and my hands hurt so bad and "buzzed". After I got a 460, all that went away.

(First year I did wood, I bought a log truck load of 9 cords for my own heat and I had people stopping by asking how much I wanted... so I decided to start selling some as a side job. Fast forward 7 years and it's how I make my living)

I have been looking at pro saws and really wanted an 044 but they are all quite used. And more expensive. I can afford a new pro saw but I don't really have a use for it. It's more like I just want another saw. Therefore budget is prob under $600au. I think I might end up with this 039.

I think if you tune it up with and run it on 40 to 1 or a little richer mix it would do a good job on your mid size cutting needs for years.
Around here they hold a very good resale value also, even as parts saws.
Flippy caps are standard on the newer ms390 version, but it could have the covers changed as was suggested.

Think I just found the perfect saw. Advertiser said they don't know what it is but I'm pretty sure it's an 044. Said it has 1128 in a few places. Had a bit more use but looks good and is cheaper too. Hopefully go check it out in the am.

Make sure you check the crank for play and at least look through the spark plug hole with a bright torch to see if the cylinder bore is clean. Good luck.

I have the an 029 Super that I just put the big bore kit (039/390 P&C) on it. I also did a muffler mod to it. That sucker runs good and chews through some wood. It chewed through wood pretty darn good before the rebuild. It depends on what kind of modifying you want to do. The clam shell style really doesn't have much ability to be modified, compared to the pro saws. With the pro saws, you can have someone port and grind the squish on the cylinder, plus several other things to the P&C. The clam shell, can't really do much of that, that I know of.

I have the an 029 Super that I just put the big bore kit (039/390 P&C) on it. I also did a muffler mod to it. That sucker runs good and chews through some wood. It chewed through wood pretty darn good before the rebuild. It depends on what kind of modifying you want to do. The clam shell style really doesn't have much ability to be modified, compared to the pro saws. With the pro saws, you can have someone port and grind the squish on the cylinder, plus several other things to the P&C. The clam shell, can't really do much of that, that I know of.

There is 1 MMMS390 out in Cacti Country: 1.

I have been looking at pro saws and really wanted an 044 but they are all quite used. And more expensive. I can afford a new pro saw but I don't really have a use for it. It's more like I just want another saw. Therefore budget is prob under $600au. I think I might end up with this 039.
I've owned a couple of 044s and I would much rather have a 390 for firewood cutting. My last 044 was very tough on the arm trying to start it, kicked unless you drop started it. For a little more money a decent 361 is a pretty good saw with good anti vibe.

Both the 044 saws I had were good starters. I have a bad right shoulder and really feel the pains with jerky starter systems, excessive compression, kickbacks and short starter ropes. I had an ms440 for resale I test drove a short time seemed to start well also. Ironically it came from a city auction and said hard starting on the tag. I have had and used several o36 and 034's which most of them were hard to pull due mostly to high compression and their light weight I assumed, and it seemed I got an occaisional hit without it starting all the way that'd abruptly extend my arm which would hurt. I have an 034 super now that starts sweet, just pulls nice and usually fires 2 to 4 pulls. I think the starting varies more on the individual saw then the model on many occaisons. I have very little experience with the 039, but I did run 1 part of a couple days or more of ditch bank work several years ago. All the other saws were 046's and when I was getting wore down I would grab the 039 for easier going so I must say it was comfortable to use to me. On the other hand all the few 044's i have been using I felt were very user friendly also.

View attachment 511884 My 361 is not that pretty but it's not bad. Has compression release also..I've recently repainted the muffler with VHT black.
The problem is that it's tough to find used ones that run. Owners that bought them like to keep them. Lighter than a Farm Boss but with more horsepower and features. Originally mine sold in early 2008 for $700. The 362's cost more today. I used a Fed stimulus check to buy mine. Best money I probably ever spent. It cut wood very well today, and about the only thing I have ever replaced was the pickup body (fuel filter). I've added a right side bumper spike. That's it.

I might add that every time I've lent it out to someone else, I can't sleep at night.

Latest posts

Back