041 no start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbevs

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This saw is killing me!!! New p+c and brand new ring on top of a carb rebuild and other general cleaning up. I was trying to get the carb dialed in to a nice idle. It died and will not restart. It died many times while trying to get it dialed in but started easy enough. It began getting harder and harder to start. When it died I was blipping the throttle which would only make it bog down. It only started doing this at the very end.

There was als a very strange noise while it was idleing like something was in the crankcase bouncing around. I could not get the noise to stop no matter what I did. It did not seem to come from the clutch cover. I have a vid I will upload when I get home. Thanks for any help.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid178.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fw269%2Fdangeranger3%2F20111001145839.mp4">

Last edited:
Did you use Loctite on the rod bolts?

The first time I overhauled a Homelite XL-101 I kept hearing a strange noise.
View attachment 201237
attachment.php

Then, when I was winging it outside the garage door, it stopped short. The bolt jamed the crank and spit the crankcase.

I only removed the wrist pin and replaced it. I am 99.98% sure nothing fell in while the case was open.

O41

From what I hear it sounds like a possible ignition problem. Does this saw have points?What model of O41 do you have their were several different modes. Some had points and some had electric modules ext. Ken

It definitely could be the main bearings. It does have the points as well. Spark was present the whole time. My first thought was that when it got warmed up something caused a no spark issue. That was not the case. I added the video to the first post. The audio is terrible, but you can hear the exhaust, then a very different, higher pitched sound.

Time for a tear down and vac test for air leaks. Your saw sounds like a air leak some where.

If it was an air leak it would be racing faster.From the sounds of it you have a dry bearing.It also idles to smooth for an air leak.If you could get it started again I would try and squirt a small bit of oil directly into the carb.JMO Ken

If it was an air leak it would be racing faster.From the sounds of it you have a dry bearing.It also idles to smooth for an air leak.If you could get it started again I would try and squirt a small bit of oil directly into the carb.JMO Ken

Not necessarily...a big air leak will cause it to not run at all, a small intake leak will make it run faster but leaner.

I greased the needle cage bearing before installing it. Other that I don't know where I should apply grease. It really sounds more like something getting knocked around in the crankcase, but maybe something rattling. I didn't notice the noise while it was running with the clutch cover off. I did not replace the jug to cc gasket. Maybeit did not seem to be in bad shape. That does not explain the noise though.

I greased the needle cage bearing before installing it. Other that I don't know where I should apply grease. It really sounds more like something getting knocked around in the crankcase, but maybe something rattling. I didn't notice the noise while it was running with the clutch cover off. I did not replace the jug to cc gasket. Maybeit did not seem to be in bad shape. That does not explain the noise though.

Are you sure it's not the clutch making the noise? I have a couple of Stihls and a McCulloch or two that make a dinging noise that comes from the clutch. I would fix it but I kinda like the sound.

Take the bar off and start it. See if the noise goes away. It sounds like your clutch springs are loose or rusty. How tight is your chain? It could be a dry bearing on your clutch also. Those saws are known for air leaks on the intake flange, the bolts come loose but that will make it rev high.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. This saw is going to be the end of me. The noise I am confident is the clutch, but now it won't start again:cry::cry::mad: I just can't believe this nonsense. I really am mechanically inclined, I swear. Has spark, has compression, has fuel. My cad has been more than satisfied.

I'd say the compression is the constant thing you have, maybe the spark or the fuel is coming and going. I would check them one more time. Possible the sparkplug wire is shorting to something metal that's nearby? Fuel line might have a kink in it somewhere?

Latest posts

Back