041AV not oiling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mold Mechanic

Mold Mechanic

ArboristSite Member
Hi, I'm new to the forum, I've been lurking here for awhile and see there is much useful information to be learned here. My problem is I bought an old 041AV Stihl and it runs like a top, gobs of power, but the oiler isn't working right. I get maybe 1 shot of oil every ten seconds at full speed. I pulled the oiler out and it moves freely, the passages are all clear, I get very little oil when I run it without the bar on it. I took the bar studs out and the one closest to the muffler is evidently open to the oil tank, but there was alot of metal flake that ran out of the hole with the oil. I'm thinking the pin on the worm gear might be sheared, but I'm not sure how to get to it. I've never had a Stihl apart before. I overhauled a Homelite XL2 when I was in High School, but that was a long time ago, and that saw wasn't even similar to this one. :bang: Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
First you need an IPL... Do an AS search - I published an IPL of the 041 oiler recently and there was a decent discussion about the the issues.

After you removed the clutch drum and clutch, the oiler worm just pulls out

If you punch in "041 oil pump" in to the AS search, you'll get a bunch of hits. Here's one:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=39207

Last edited: