041av Or 61 Or 371xp Or Timberbear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunner1965

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good day all,
I have a question for the "experts"
I need a decent felling/firewood saw (alder/fir)
I can only choose one of the following 4, they are all in decent shape with good compression.

STIHL 041AV:sword:
HUSQVARNA 61
HUSQVARNA 371XP
MCCULLOCH TIMBERBEAR

I REALLY VALUE ALL OF YOUR OPINIONS
THANKS GUNNER

gunner1965 said:
Good day all,
I have a question for the "experts"
I need a decent felling/firewood saw (alder/fir)
I can only choose one of the following 4, they are all in decent shape with good compression.

STIHL 041AV:sword:
HUSQVARNA 61
HUSQVARNA 371XP
MCCULLOCH TIMBERBEAR

I REALLY VALUE ALL OF YOUR OPINIONS
THANKS GUNNER

Stihl 041AV= Hard to find parts, unless used. Heavy and slow. Built like a tank and reputation for durability.

Husqvarna 61=Never seen a complete running one. Seen boxes of broken ones.

Husqvarna 371XP=Aftermarket parts are readily availible. Good saw with a reputation for durabilty. Still see a couple being used professionally.

Mcculloch Timberbear=There are some good ones and there are some crappy ones. I see a lot of these in home owner use. It should be the cheapest saw of this group. Parts can be hard to find but are still availible. I like these saws and own quite a few but if I could only chose one it would be the 371XP.

I have all of these saws except the 61. The 371 is the fast guy in the bunch. I have beat the crap out of an 041 and a Timberbear and they are both bullet proof. There is only one choice here. ALL, BUY THEM ALL....

"ALL, BUY THEM ALL."

A statement to live buy. Followed shortly by "I need more space" and "what happened to all of our trees".:clap:

Top choice is the 371, followed by the 61, then the 041, then the McCulloch.

This is like comparing apples to oranges really. Kinda like should I a new sports car or a 1970's vintage caddy?

As far as seeing boxes of dead saws I've seen more dead saws and parts for 371 than any of the others, thats a model that the loggers love to use and kill on a regular basis. The others are less on the 'Pro' level, and tend not to lead short hard lives.

The 61, 41, and mac are all pretty comprable displacement wise but the 61 is lighter and faster than the other two, with the 041 being the most rugged of the group.

Back