• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Trade 042 that runs for a +70cc stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balls_of_stihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got an 042 had it running good, some minor adjusting on carb probly wouldn't hurt extra parts saw to go with it. I'm not 100 percent on making this deal I just figured I'd see what kind of offers I'd get. I know it's less saw than what I'm asking for but a guy at the stihl dealership said it was one of the harder to come by saws and I thought maybe some collector wouldn't mind making a deal. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

A little bird told me that the 042 was designed to cut walnut trees very low to the ground and that the 042 bar is way to the right, any truth in this???

got the pics but now tapatalk crashes everytime i try to post them. the bar does seem close to the edge of the saw now that you mention it. 045super dam that thing is a tank does it run?

not trying to pull a fast one on anyone either i can get pics of compression test which showed 130 last time but the saw sat for a long time and i soaked the cylinder with oil then rinsed out with mixed gas or vid of running and to be honest i know that it may not be an even up trade as for cutting ability or power but i figured maybe some with a few good workhorse saws might have one he is willing to part ways with for a bit of nostalgia. just want one that can handle a bigger bar maybe 28" or something. the 042 kinda reminds me of 038 in a way not sure if some parts would swap or not havent really done much research on it

A healthy 042 will pull a 28" bar no problem
i have a pair of 042's that are as reliable as any saw i have. a lot of people have negative comments about the 042 but i have had one since 80's and the other is a mint shape saw that is a collector . i run mine w/ 25 inch bars full skip no issues. the 048 will inter change most all parts the 042 is 68cc/ 49mmbore

Really i guess I didn't get out with it and put it to the test yet just got 7 saws for $150 5 were Stihls and they all run. What is the compression run on your 042 mine shows 130 just wondering if that's good

nudusumy.jpg
u4ynanas.jpg

Really i guess I didn't get out with it and put it to the test yet just got 7 saws for $150 5 were Stihls and they all run. What is the compression run on your 042 mine shows 130 just wondering if that's good

one has 170# and the other has 160#, from the looks they were road hard and put up wet, re-ring

i never really messed around with the one that was in peices but i threw the tester on it for the hell of it and came back with 140#. so i took everything off the nicer looking one and put it on to the one i thought was just a parts saw. got it going good cut through one tank with it in some dead oak and it seemed to run pretty strong to me the only thing is that i forgot how tired the arms get with the ol' heavy bastards, in a week i should get whipped into shape though hopefully i used to run a 038 mag and i remember taking a break halfway through the tank to eventually cutting three tanks before resting.

yea those magnesium crank cases are bullet proof. i think them and cockroaches are the only things that would survive a nuclear bomb

I have 4 x 048's. IMO it will hang with the 660 all day w/28" 0.050 full comp. I even found and NOS tank handle for them and a NOS carb still wrapped in the box. Two run, one was a work saw of mine 4 years ago maybe five. I'm never get rid of them. Old reliable even has a pro rim setup :) A full wrap would be cool. Never found or saw one yet. I should resto one for GTG's.

Latest posts

Back