044 air filter question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip4664

Lover of 2 strokes
Reaction score
I am freshening up my dad's 044 a little for him and have some questions on the air filter.

THe dealer told me the replacement filter for this saw is part # 0000-140-4402. It looks like a gauze-only element that says "Stihl HD System" on the rubber peripheral part.

The filter that was in the saw was three pieces. An element that resembles the new one, part # 0000-120-1600, a blue foam filter that goes on the inside (no part number on foam), and an outer felt wrap, part # 0000-141-0300.

My question is, was the filter designed changed? Are the felt and foam supposed to be used with the new filter? The old system is obviously much more robust with three layers of protection.

Is the felt outer ring still available? Dealer was saying no, but I have caught them on technicalities before.

THe foam will fit in the new one and is like new after cleaning.

Thanks for any info.

Yes they changed the filter design ,I do not run the foam in the hd2 but i do run an aftermarket outerwears cover to keep the pleats from filling with sawdust ,the early 044 had a rubber gasket on the filter base ,need to yank that off if has it for the outer cover to fit right .

filter cover 301.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys. One more question while on 044 filter topic here. The service manual shows this "screen" or outer filter as they call it. This is not present on this saw. Was that on all 044's, or only certain variants or regions? CHeck out the snip from the manual below. Is that an actual plastic screen, or a different type of filter altogether?

Attachments

• 044 filter pic from manual.PNG
    044 filter pic from manual.PNG
    52.7 KB · Views: 30
1128 saws are junk anyway.
Not sure why anyone would want one?
290 Farm Boss is where it's at!!

I can`t imagine having them around either,

FD7A7A56.jpg

18BD67FC.jpg

C9A19B6A.jpg

I have 2, both 10 mm, and you are right I love em. What are the 1st five of the SN?

RE the filter, I agree with Brad, just run the HD-2 filter (which is different than the HD). I tried running them with the felt pre-filter, but the chips still got in and it just made it tougher to clean. As someone else already noted, I recommend the HD-2 filter in conjunction with a dual port muff cover, and don't forget to make the tune a little richer (adjust by ear, but about 1/16 turn on both Hi & Low worked great on both my saws).

It will feel like a whole new saw.

FYI, both my 044s came with 3 layer filters, but the outside and inside were both foam. Time to replace with the HD-2, you will like it.

The wood chips just tap out of it easily.

Yep, I'm happy as a pig in ......

Trying to configure a 044 project. Perhaps you guys can post some pictures of the HD set up.
I must be missing some parts...The IPL shows several configurations, not sure from where I'm
sitting and this project has been sitting a while. Post away at the 044 air filter configurations,
perhaps it will be a future reference for those comparing. Thanks

Back