044 clutch rim problems??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ontario026

ontario026

ArboristSite Operative
I was cleaning up my new to me 044 today and found that the drum had play in it, I could 'rock' the drum side to side? is this normal? I popped of the c-clip and removed the rim and drum etc... The bearing stayed on the shaft, and appeared to have some fishing line wrapped around the crank at the top of the bearing? I slid the bearing off, and the surface of the crank where the bearing rides seems ok, the bore of the drum looks not too bad, There doesn not seem to be any heat colouration.... What should I do/check? Just throw a new drum bearing in? should the drum bearing be lubricated?

Thanks guys

Matthew

ontario026

ontario026

ArboristSite Operative
Glen, the play is between the drum and clutch weights. let me try to explain.. hmm the play is perpendicular to the crankshaft? as in the face of the drum should be at 90 degree angle to the crank shaft, but it can be wiggled a few degrees back and forth? am I making any sense?

One other thing is the saw leaks fuel when set on it's side, appears to be from some kind of vent.... My 026 does not seem to leak when on it's side? is this normal?

help for this inexperienced newbie is very appreciated! I can tear the engine in my honda foreman quad down to nothing and reassemble in no time, but new to working on saws!

Matthew

glens

glens

Former Member
I follow you now.&nbsp; The clutch drum is, of course, self centering when the clutch engages so there'll be no play when power is passing through it.&nbsp; A "few degrees" <i>might</i> be a little loose.&nbsp; Does the drum ring like a bell at idle without the brake engaged?&nbsp; They can do that and still be okay; put a tiny dab of grease on the bearing and don't fret it for now.&nbsp; If it overly concerns you, there's always the option of a new clutch drum/bearing.&nbsp; What are they, 12 or 15 bucks?

The vent is on the top of the tank, on the starter side.&nbsp; I think there have been several designs so you'll have to look and tell us what you've got there.

Glen

Fish

Tree Freak
Check with your local lawn mower shop, they should have access to Silverstreak/
Oregon aftermarket parts, their bearings are a lot more reasonable, like a couple of
bucks.

ontario026

ontario026

ArboristSite Operative
Well I took the saw by the local Stihl shop and let the mechanic feel the clutch, he didn't figure there was a problem, said it was a little loose, but popped in a new bearing and it was pretty much the same, he said it should be fine as it is for now, then once I'm ready to swap to a new bar/chain he figured at that time throw a new rim/drum/bearing on it as well....

and the vent leaking, he claimed with that style of vent it is common...

Matthew