044 Con Rod, ever install?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same as a dirbike or snowmobile crank, you need a big press. There are two ways to ensure the trueness of the crank. A jig is one, the other is to make marks and assemble as close to true as possible, and then use dial indicators and a set of v blocks, or on a lathe mounted between live centers. Then to correct it, you carefully tap it with a hammer. This isn't something you can do yourself very easily, unless you have the experience and the tools, but if you had both of those, you likely wouldn't be asking the qeustion in the first place, it would already be done.

Tools and Equipment

I definetly have access to the tools and equipment, as I have worked as a millwright for the last 25 years. That is probably why, I can also appreciate how precise the job would be. Do you have to heat it? I'm sure sure it been done, but how close, does it end up to Stihl's original specs. I'm sure the "close enough" assembly will run, but for how long? How much extra vibration? Thank You, Mike.

Are You Talking About A Connecting Rod Being Installed On A Crank On A 044 Stihl???
Hey Timber How Ya Doin. I've Been Having A Ball With With That Lean/rich Thing You And I Were Yaking About. Called One Of The Main Cats Down At Stihl And He Said We Have Too Much Time On Our Hands,haha.

jensen 32000 said:
I definitely have access to the tools and equipment, as I have worked as a millwright for the last 25 years. That is probably why, I can also appreciate how precise the job would be. Do you have to heat it? I'm sure sure it been done, but how close, does it end up to Stihl's original specs. I'm sure the "close enough" assembly will run, but for how long? How much extra vibration? Thank You, Mike.

It's not even available as a spare part from Stihl. Interesting though how it got out of the factory. I bet it is is assembled and aligned hot. As both halves have counterweights, it would have to be right on to be balanced but MORE importantly to have the main bearings in exact alignment. Could be a lot of messing around, and you wouldn't get much time (seconds at most) to do it as the pin would heat up and stop any further adjustment.

Was Thinking That Myself. Didn't Know You Could Get A Connecting Rod From Stihl Without It Being Attached To A Crank. I Was Told That The Crank Was Put Together With The Rod Attached And Then Pressed And Electro Welded Into One Full Assembly. Now It Would Take Some Doing To Get That Thing Apart. Sounds Like Someone At Stihl Made A Boo Boo If Someone Has A Crank With No Rod Attached.
Motor Wouldn't Run To Good,haha

Here is some more information on crank rebuilding, although it is based upon dirtbikes where it is more common than in saws, where the entire crank is normally replaced.

Crank Rebuilding

THALL10326,

Doing good.

Thats funny that they say that, I guess it means we were arguing over something they consider trivial. So long as the gas is mixed, carb isn't too lean and the saw runs well don't worry about the details or something like that :p.

Have a good one

Alignment

Quote "I bet it is is assembled and aligned hot. As both halves have counterweights, it would have to be right on to be balanced but MORE importantly to have the main bearings in exact alignment. Could be a lot of messing around, and you wouldn't get much time (seconds at most) to do it as the pin would heat up and stop any further adjustment."

Lakeside: exactly, if it is loose enough to "tweek" back and forth with a hammer, then how does it stay put at 13,000 Rpm. Also scribe marks can only go so far. The reason I ask, is I have two cranks the need that bearing replaced. Thank You, Mike.

TimberPig said:
Here is some more information on crank rebuilding, although it is based upon dirtbikes where it is more common than in saws, where the entire crank is normally replaced.

Crank Rebuilding

THALL10326,

Doing good.

Thats funny that they say that, I guess it means we were arguing over something they consider trivial. So long as the gas is mixed, carb isn't too lean and the saw runs well don't worry about the details or something like that :p.

Have a good one

Hey Timber. Your right. I was telling him our story and he like okkkkkkk,:D I told him we was having a good ole time yaking about it. You know Timber it sorta reminds of of that old joke of where is the last dollar, ever heard that one??

Back