044 Oiltank repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrzneiz

Reaction score
Hej Guys,

I Need your advice, I bought a cheap 044 a while back, and noticed that it was painted on the oiltank, figured it might had been fixed, but i did not think that big a deal off it, because it still looked like it had been used after the fix, and it was good until a week ago where I was out cutting som trees down and I came to bash it a little hard against a branche.

So the question is, should I try again with Epoxy like the previous owner, or is there a better fix?

Are there some epoxy´s that better interacts with oil, or what about welding? I know that Normally engine blocks to mopeds almost can´t be welded (Cast aluminium) so that it can hold, But this only has to contain the oil not hold too much strain.

IMG_0689.JPGIMG_0690.JPGIMG_0695.JPGIMG_0696.JPG

My thought is to mill or drill a bit thruogh so that the epoxy can come through and make a edge to better hold on, because as it was done last it was not through the small holes you can see.

//Mrzneiz

It was probably just done too thinly last time to try to achieve an invisible mend before selling. If it's just your saw and you don't mind it being fugly I'd just go with a good clean up of the outside surface and roughen up the area for a good key then reapply a liberal amount of a suitable epoxy.
I think these tanks are magnesium alloy which apparently is very difficult to weld, but easy to burn when others have tried.

I've got a spot of Devcon on a Echo 302 gas tank ..at the edge of the case to case half joint
that has held up fine for 20+ years.
It's on the front of the saw where you rub it when bucking, no less.

I did a similar mechanical prep like yours and then cleaned with solvent of that era
prior to the application of the Devcon.
it's just like the instructions warn us, Surface Prep and ideal temps
will make or break the repair!
Clean it like you're cleaning a flesh wound, no re-wipes
with used rags ,etc.
Don't forget to let it cure as per directions too.

tig weld it and you are done with it it wont cost much more to have it done than buying epoxys and re doing it when it leaks again

I usually use JB for wood to steel bonding while knife making, but I have used Devcon and that is also good stuff. Carefully take a Dremel and grove the crack a little not all the way through. Then cross hatch it with the Dremel so it looks like rifle checkering then clean with acetone or alcohol and apply JB or Devcon liberally you can sand off the rough spots if you have any when done. Just leave plenty of epoxy behind. Good luck Jeff

Thanks for your answers, think I will try Epoxy since I have some that reads "Metal reinforced" on it, and if that do not work I will look for a Tig welder.

//mrzneiz

Remember , 1) "lightly" grind the crack, 2) Clean the crack, 3) clean it again, 4) mix more than you need , 5) slather it on it will self level especially if it is inside where it is warm. 6)Wait,...2 days to be sure. Remember a clean crack is a happy crack ! Good luck Jeff

When folks think of alcohol they automatically think of the stuff you get in the drug store. It contains water and can interfere with the setting process of certain epoxy mixtures. No since in taking a chance , just use acetone.

http://www.jbweld.com/faqs/

Well I bet you are right,... I have used the denatured stuff in a gallon can on a lot of my wood to steel bonds with good luck so far. When I told him alcohol I did not say denatured you are right about that. Good catch I say ! Jeff

sand it first, get all the old epoxy as much as you can, get some of the gas tank putty at the autoparts store place it on let it sit you are good to go wont leak again done at least 5 of these. It must say resistant to gas and oil on the package. I think its called liquid steel. Don't use jb weld I like the stuff but it will eventually come off with the vibration of the saw and it doesn't like gas/oil that much either

The denatured alcohol is good stuff. That stuff that Mr sawdust is speaking of is good stuff too! I forgot all about it. I used some as an emergency repair while out on the road many many years ago and its still holding. I had forgotten all about that until you just mentioned it. We managed to run over a piece of steel and gouge a for reel in a steel gas tank and that stuff had no problem sealing it up. That was like 20 years ago.

Latest posts

Back