044 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbercutter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just bought a used 044 and it looks to be in good shape,but here's the problemI can't get it started and it seems to be firing fine and the compression feels strong..Now assuming this is a small promb and can be fixed what does it cost to rebuild one back stock or am I better off to junk the saw and buy a new one?

At least you have something worth sinking money into to learn on. These guys will walk you through it. Just ask questions and you will be helped. They walked me through my first topend rebuild and several other learning saws. So get ready and enjoy. Its fun and most of the saws are a simple fix.

It's likely a simple fuel problem (carb, fuel lines, impulse line) or crank seals. None of these are consided major. Certainly don't "junk it"...

If it is just flooding, rebuild the carb, but look at the IPL carefully as the guy before you may have messed it up.

Lakeside53 said:
It's likely a simple fuel problem (carb, fuel lines, impulse line) or crank seals. None of these are consided major. Certainly don't "junk it"...

Sounds like a goood place to start thanks

If you smell fuel - and it still won't start you may have fouled the plug right off. Put in a new plug and try again. I have had this happen.

Tree Sling'r said:
If you smell fuel - and it still won't start you may have fouled the plug right off. Put in a new plug and try again. I have had this happen.

Tried a new plug no help still can't get it too hit it seems to be getting plenty of gas and to be firing hot enough but has not started yet

ummm

Timbercutter said:
Tried a new plug no help still can't get it too hit it seems to be getting plenty of gas and to be firing hot enough but has not started yet

When you took the plug out did you shine a light inside and see if you could see any scouring or scratches on the cylinder walls??? Also, did you put fresh mixed gas in the saw? The gas could be old. I know this one is going to seem silly, buttttttt, did you make sure you were putting gas in the right fill tank? I hate to ask a dumb question, but I've seen it done before. Check all the simple things first. Give it a shot of starter fluid and see if that'll get it to run for even a second or 2. From there you can troubleshoot. Also, below is the Stihl manual for the 044. Read in the troubleshooting section and see if that helps you.

http://www.stihlmanuals.w1.com/stihl_ownersmanuals/044_Manual.pdf

ciscoguy01 said:
When you took the plug out did you shine a light inside and see if you could see any scouring or scratches on the cylinder walls??? Also, did you put fresh mixed gas in the saw? The gas could be old. I know this one is going to seem silly, buttttttt, did you make sure you were putting gas in the right fill tank? I hate to ask a dumb question, but I've seen it done before. Check all the simple things first. Give it a shot of starter fluid and see if that'll get it to run for even a second or 2. From there you can troubleshoot. Also, below is the Stihl manual for the 044. Read in the troubleshooting section and see if that helps you.

http://www.stihlmanuals.w1.com/stihl_ownersmanuals/044_Manual.pdf

I did get the fresh gas in the right tank (lol) I couldn't tell if the cylinder walls rough(no light early) but will look again,my buddy thought maybe a crack or scratch in their when he looked, which would be bad..And should have been my question,if scratched or worn or cracked time to rebuild and what would this cost parts wise allowing I can do it myself? Oh my buddy pulled the plug out (new plug) poured some gas straight in and nothing,then he takes the plug out,attaches it too the plug wire and holds it down to the head to check for a spark and pulls the rope and sure enough it sparks plenty good and lights the gas,a big balls of fire and burns his beard(lol) had to throw that in as dumb things not to do..But it does seem to sending plenty of fire to the cyclinder.

You say there is gas, compression and spark and if these are all true as such, perhaps the flywheel key could be sheared away and it is out of time...sparking when the piston is BDC instead of TDC. This seems the likely next place to look.

Parts

Timbercutter said:
I did get the fresh gas in the right tank (lol) I couldn't tell if the cylinder walls rough(no light early) but will look again,my buddy thought maybe a crack or scratch in their when he looked, which would be bad..And should have been my question,if scratched or worn or cracked time to rebuild and what would this cost parts wise allowing I can do it myself? Oh my buddy pulled the plug out (new plug) poured some gas straight in and nothing,then he takes the plug out,attaches it too the plug wire and holds it down to the head to check for a spark and pulls the rope and sure enough it sparks plenty good and lights the gas,a big balls of fire and burns his beard(lol) had to throw that in as dumb things not to do..But it does seem to sending plenty of fire to the cyclinder.

Link below. A complete new piston etc... is only $100. I'll tell you, the saw IS worth the money. These saws were around $700 new. I just bought one with about 10hrs use on it for $400 and it's worth every penny. I love mine, it cuts anything and everything I need to. I had to give'r a tune-up tonight matter of fact. I did look at the top of the piston and the walls. I see a little bit of dry buildup on top of the piston. Anybody in here that could tell me how to get rid of this before it gets bad??? I'd appreciate it. I think it might be from running to rich to be honest. It was running a little rich and I leaned it out a little bit. Hope the link helps you guy. Bailey's has all the parts you need buddy. Check Amick's also...

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi...category/se=10133/op=eq/ml=5.html?id=DyMJVPIJ

bloom said:
You say there is gas, compression and spark and if these are all true as such, perhaps the flywheel key could be sheared away and it is out of time...sparking when the piston is BDC instead of TDC. This seems the likely next place to look.

Good idea but very unlikely on an 044 - the key is tool steel... never have seen one sheared.

Starter fluid

Timbercutter said:

Did you try that starter fluid? Just to see if it will run for a couple seconds? Generally it's a bad thing to use it on ANY 2 cycle engines, but if your troubleshooting it can be a good thing. If it will run for a couple seconds, my point is, you can narrow it down to the carb/fuel. I'd say from what I've read that it's your carb. Just my .02 guy. Lakeside is probably the authority on this stuff. He's sent me some excellent links as well as given excellent advice. I bow to the greatness... lol :bowdown:

ciscoguy01 said:
Did you try that starter fluid? Just to see if it will run for a couple seconds? Generally it's a bad thing to use it on ANY 2 cycle engines, but if your troubleshooting it can be a good thing. If it will run for a couple seconds, my point is, you can narrow it down to the carb/fuel. I'd say from what I've read that it's your carb. Just my .02 guy. Lakeside is probably the authority on this stuff. He's sent me some excellent links as well as given excellent advice. I bow to the greatness... lol :bowdown:

Tried a little starter fluid today still nothing

Sometimes it's just too wet inside the cylinder to fire at all... Take out he plug, turn the saw upside down and pull like crazy (with ignition off) - any old gas etc should come out. Put back in a dry or new plug). Try
dry a few times, then squirt a couple of teaspoons of gas mix down the crab and pull again.

Make sure your muffler screen is not completely plugged.

Check that you have enough spark - bend the grounding electrode vertical, ground the plug body and see if it still sparks. The voltage required to spark at 150 psi is several time more that at 1 atmosphere... opening up the gap simulates the requirements inside the cylinder under pressure.

Thanks for everyone's advice and help...After looking on the exhaust side of the piston I can see scratches and wear on the piston my local dealer says i need to rebuild the top end..serial # 131099046 can I put the big bore piston kit in this saw?

Hells yea

Timbercutter said:
Thanks for everyone's advice and help...After looking on the exhaust side of the piston I can see scratches and wear on the piston my local dealer says i need to rebuild the top end..serial # 131099046 can I put the big bore piston kit in this saw?

Hells yea you can dude. $100 to get a kit from Baileys bro. Do it and lemme know how it turns out. I'm siked to hear your outcome buddy.

Linky:

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/5183?mv_session_id=whFAy7K6&product_sku=BB 044

Yes you can put the big bore kit on as long as your wrist pin is the 12mm,not the older 10mm. Also make shure your lower end bearing are good grab the crank and see if it wiggles up and down.

Latest posts

Back