044 stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funky sawman

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just picked up an older 044 that has the smaller 10mm conn rod. It needs a piston and cylinder. Im a husqvarna guy so Im not familiar with crank interchange. I would like to swap a newer crank into it if possible, and install a big bore kit. Any help to get this saw running might make me more accepting of stihl's design.:givebeer: By the way, this site is awsome.:cheers:

I have a 10mm pin 044 with the big stock exhaust port. I don't have a dual port muffler on it. It is bone stock. Best damn saw I have ever owned.

Big bore kits are overrated in my book. Just get a new stock p&c and use the stock crank.

Gary

I have a 10mm pin 044 with the big stock exhaust port. I don't have a dual port muffler on it. It is bone stock. Best damn saw I have ever owned.

Big bore kits are overrated in my book. Just get a new stock p&c and use the stock crank.

Gary

Im getting married in dec so Im on a building budgit, dosn't the oem p+c cost over 250$??

Gary

Gary is right, the 10mm 044 pulls like a tractor. If you are worried about money, good used works also. I have NOT found that these are difficult to find... everyone is ga-ga for the newer style top ends.

Also, living in Idaho, do you live at altitude? I do NOT have personal experience with big bores, but I know I've read posts that indicate the big bore kits provide less benefit at altitude.

Gary is right, the 10mm 044 pulls like a tractor. If you are worried about money, good used works also. I have NOT found that these are difficult to find... everyone is ga-ga for the newer style top ends.

Also, living in Idaho, do you live at altitude? I do NOT have personal experience with big bores, but I know I've read posts that indicate the big bore kits provide less benefit at altitude.

Were I live it's 2060'. I cut at about 3000' to 4800' above sea level

The 12mm wrist pin crank will not swap over to the 10mm wrist pin style case, unless you're willing to do some work. You have to machine the crank throws a bit and sand the back of the connecting rod down a hair and do some sanding work in the mixing area of the case halves. You have to leave enough room for everything to expand. It's advanced work, but can be done. I did one and sent it to Nik Bailey and he used it as one of the saws for the development of the big bore kits. It's still a runner.

You can find used top ends on ebay that are in good shape. Bailey's sells the aftermarket top ends (non big bore) I believe for a decent price. But if you do go aftermarket... do yourself one justice... do not use the aftermarket wristpin clips. Spend a coupla extra bucks and get OEM clips from Stihl... you will thank me later... :)

Thanks for the answer on the 12mm crank in the 10mm case Jacob. I had a feeling there was some extensive work... but didn't wanna talk out of turn. :clap:

Gary

Latest posts

Back