044 stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But if you do go aftermarket... do yourself one justice... do not use the aftermarket wristpin clips. Spend a coupla extra bucks and get OEM clips from Stihl... you will thank me later... :)Gary

I guess I didn't do enough research when I rebuilt my 044...:mad:

Edit: I should clarify that it's running great now, just hoping the aftermarket clips hold up.

Kevin

Last edited:
I guess I didn't do enough research when I rebuilt my 044...:mad:

Edit: I should clarify that it's running great now, just hoping the aftermarket clips hold up.

Kevin

I believe I'd pull the cylinder and change the clips.

I believe I'd pull the cylinder and change the clips.

I'll sleep on it and see how I feel.

Edit: Me and my after thoughts today :rolleyes:. Anyway, are the problem clips the ones with the "ears"?

Kevin

Last edited:
I'll sleep on it and see how I feel.

Edit: Me and my after thoughts today :rolleyes:. Anyway, are the problem clips the ones with the "ears"?

Kevin

Yes I believe so.

How do you know if your 044 has 10mm. I have to what I believe a very early 044 as to what I'm told, it has the very short oil and gas caps.

attachment.php

I think you have to check this out by serial number. This has been discussed a number of times over the last few years. If you do some searches (maybe "10mm" or "044 wrist pin") you're going to find a thread in which one of the members (Andy) provides the cutoff number. Your serial number is found on the saw case near the top of the clutch cover (forward of the chain brake attachment point)

I am not a professional saw guy like some of these fellows, but I do believe that the change occurred during the period in which the 044 cylinders had a diagonal fin pattern on top. If you don't have a diagional fin pattern, you have a 12mm pin. If you DO have a diagonal pattern, you may or may not have a 10mm pin. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here.

Back