044 surging at idle..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok guys the search isnt working and our 044 BB at work is surging at idle no matter what or how the tune is...and i just put a new carb kit in it...still didnt fix it...and it seems like it loads up and then it shuts off...no matter if its lean or rich....thats what it sounds like anyway...sometimes it will have a slight bog in it...it is fine at WOT no load and in a cut...and its tuned at 13,200 and still four stroking...and it cleans out when in a cut. I have NEVER ran into this strange problem until now...what is it?...thanks!

I know its a 12mm wrist pin saw but my boss said its a 1994?...he might be wrong....but it is basically a 440..

Ok guys still fighting this problem on this 044..what is it?...we put a new crank, bearings, crankseals, crankcase gasket, tried a softer spring in the carb because when we pressure tested it it didnt pop off with the metering lever side off the carb until it hit 20lbs..we put one in it that poped at roughly 13lbs..it now has new in tank fuel line, filter, intake boot and rings. I'll say its more of a hunting idle..to describe it well.

Impulse line? Sounds like an air leak, especially since you've nearly replaced all the other parts. Check PM.

try a different coil, does it do it at a fast idle? say 4500-5000, or a slow idle near staling?

I guess i forgot to add we put a coil on it as well since we thaught being that it is rather old maybe it was the problem but it still does it. And it jumps from fast to slow and almost stall then jumps back up then back down and keeps repeating.

Last edited:
Have you got another carb you could try?

Also - you've replaced most of the bits that could cause air leaks but you don't say if you pressure & vac tested it ok afterwards.

Back