044 vs. 288

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions on these 2 saws? Presently both are being offered on ebay and I am in the market for a big(ger) saw. I guess my question would really relate to ease of obtaining parts, cost, etc.... if the saws weren't as described and needed rebuilding. Any known problems with either saw? Anyone ever buy a saw from ebay and have problems or good experience. Thanks for your help.

Can't help you with your choice between the two saws you mention, but can comment on e-bay. I have bought several items (saws included) and have had good luck. I ask sellers a lot of questions and attemtp to investigate the purchase beforehand. I
have also realized that there are a lot of good deals if you're patient so if something doesn't seem right about the item I pass on it.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the tips...I sometimes wonder if the deals are too good to be true! I know it is possible but I would hate to drop $300 or so on a saw that was not what it was cracked up to be. I am highly suspicious although maybe I shouldn't be. I guess it is better to be cautious these days though. I am trying to find a bigger cc saw to work pretty hard so maybe I would be better off buying new--although the $300 plus savings if I buy an ebay saw is awfully tempting. Thanks again.

With ebay there is always a risk but, a picture paints a thousand words. A good rule of thumb is get a good look at the pictures. Is it clean or caked with grime? does it look decent or does it look like its been rode hard an put away wet? On the other hand if it looks too clean it may have been repainted and I suggest stay away from it. Be sure to get as much info from the selleras possible. Post an ad on this site and some one may have something laying around they are willing to get rid of. As for an 044 vs. a 288. The 288 will smoke an 044 it is quite a bit bigger but heavier. To me an 044 or 372 husky is a very good all around saw I wish I would have gotten one when I bought my new saw, but I dont cut big enough trees any more to justify an 044.:(

Amen to what sawman said! o44 vs. 288 is an apples to oranges comparison. A Jonsered 2171 recently went for under a hundred bucks running but needing work(isolator mounts). A NEW 6400 Dolmar just went for $365. (a few ccs smaller than the 44 but Dolmars are HIGH performance saws.) A clean Husky 266 just sold for about $160.Keep you eyes open and you can get some real deals on saws in the 60-75 cc class. Bigger saws and Stihls almost always are higher esp the 046 and 066- but there are some decent deals there too. I have never gotten truly burnt on an ebay saw. I have had to do a little work on some-worst was replacing a torn intake boot. Typically you get a new chain on a sprocket that needs replacing and a bar that needs dressing.-No biggy.

The 44 is a great saw, I have one myself and alot of mates in logging swear by them. Watch for perishing rubbers on the intake and pulse line, can cause you a headache but at the same time not to differcult to sort out once its diagnosed. I run 18 and 22 inch bars on mine, have thrown a 30 on when I didnt have a 66 handy, it was pushing it a little.

of coarse i have both and as far as proformance you can not compare the two. one is 4.3 cubes and the other is 5.3.
as far as e-bay, i have had great luck. people that give a poor listing i stay away from because they have no clue. you may ask a question they have no idea what you are talking about and mis-lead you. sometimes you will be mis-lead because the seller just wants to unload the saw. they will really dress it up. i stay away from those too. some sellers will give a good narrative such as "removed muffler and no scratches on rings and piston".
i'll ask the seller if a compression test is possible. i have had saws come in here that i would hold the saw by the pull start and the saw dropped like a yo-yo. it helps to ask the right questions and know the right or possible answers.
i bought a sachs 112 a couple of weeks ago that had some hidden problems(weak metering diaphram for one) and the guy i bought it from was more than willing to take it back if i was not happy. he got a positive feedback for sure.
buying anything over the net is risky. just gotta be careful!
marty

Last edited:
If you dont mind the extra weight get the 288. Probably the most dependable saw I have ever run in twelve years of cutting, practically indestructable and it will smoke an 044............good luck, Wade

Latest posts

Back