• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy ((((044))))

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim rivers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Need a a 044 in the 10 m/m class for a builder? Got a oem top end kit just waiting , Anybody got one laying around they wanna cut loose ?? Thanks Jim

I have an 044 parts saw.No recoil or clutch cover.I will get the serial number.Low compression.No funky noises when rotating the crank.I know nothing about the saws history.

Yes they did!! I just worked on an 064 Red light "STIHL DEMO" model before Thanksgiving....it was no 64 inside. It had a 66 jug/piston, 66 oiler, dual port and Red Light!! This saw had never been apart other than carb kit.

I see how Stihl sells saws using a rebadge "DEMO" saw that a 064 when in actuallity it's a 066. Oh, BTW, it "RIPPED"!!!!!!

Yes they did!! I just worked on an 064 Red light "STIHL DEMO" model before Thanksgiving....it was no 64 inside. It had a 66 jug/piston, 66 oiler, dual port and Red Light!! This saw had never been apart other than carb kit.

I see how Stihl sells saws using a rebadge "DEMO" saw that a 064 when in actuallity it's a 066. Oh, BTW, it "RIPPED"!!!!!!

Were the cylinder threads 5mm or 6mm? Were the cylinder base holes enlarged? How wide was the flywheel and recoil Housing?

Not sure on the thread size....but everything seemed unmolested and all put together well. No grind mark, enlarged holes or anything. Everything looked pretty much the same as my older 066 other than badgings.....and a red light!!

The gentalman who brought me the saw bought it new and had it all the time other then when he lent it out and it didnt come back for a couple years. Said after he got it back it never ran right and so he just never used it. He was doing cleanup for a city and in October we had a major blizzard and a lot of tree damage and downed trees. He need a bigger saw for this...thats where I came in. He said the P/C had never been off but maybey a carb kit was all. I can confirm the carb kit was put in it but I don't think the jug was ever off. The rings had stuck in the grooves and the cylinder was all gunked up. Cylinder was good just needed cleaning, Orderd new piston ( with out measuring) and it was to small. Measured the same as a 066. Si I just cleaned up the piston and groves and researched this site to see if I could just polish out the slight damage on the piston....it seemed realistic and feasable ...so thats what I did and reasembled. Rebuilt the carb, new plug, new crank seals, preasure tested fuel lines, carb, system and all checked good!! Fired and tuned the cut some 20" Oak and 24" Pine like butter...it was running a 42" bar with skip chain.

Returned to gentalman and haven't hear from him since getting it back to him. Seen his son and he says Dad just smiles while using it...guess it's running ok. He said it was purchased as a DEMO 064, when he bought it.

Latest posts

Back