045 056 Ignition ID and Parts Prob

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCstihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
SEM inner flywheel with coil.jpg SEM Coil.jpg SEM Module.jpg Hello,
I'm a new guy to posting on this site but I have gotten a ton of info, some of it way over my head technically. But Thanks. I picked up an old saw recently which was supposed to be either a Stihl 045 or 056. I have not miked the piston to determine what specific model it is but that's not my prob. When I got it it started and ran for a few minutes. Never again. I can do basic stuff but my limit comes pretty quick compared to some of you guys. Replaced and rebuilt the carb. No leaks, impulse hose/tube is good, bellows are good. No spark, which surprised me since it had run. My Stihl guy, old school type, pulled it apart. Pictures are attached and of the ignition module, inner flywheel and SEM coil. We checked the wiring from the on/off switch and to the plug. Found some bad insulation and sealed it and heat shrunk it. When I put the coil on an ohm meter it shows, 4.5 ohms of resistance. No spark though. I have learned that there are or were three ignition systems, all cursed. From the posted pictures can anyone tell which ignition I have? Maybe a better question would be is this an 045 or 056 or something entirely different. We cannot find anything in parts or workshop manuals for the 045 and 056 that show this setup. Last, any recommendations for trouble shooting or parts sourcing. Thanks for your time. Please post pix of the points and condenser and Bosch system if possible.

I have to stihl 056 saws with ignition problems. I don't know much about fixing 056 ignitions. Your ignition module appears to a SEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I think it is a SEM too but I lost confidence in my conclusion. Unfortunately I know way more about 045 and 056 ignition than I want but nowhere near enough ... to fix the saw. I would much rather be blissfully ignorant with a running saw than halfway educated on a broken one.

I can't much to a cost effective option. I did find a replacement but it's only for bosch ignitions and it's over $100 plus shipping. I am going to try an aftermarket 090 ignition but I don't know if it will work. I don't want to spend over $100 each on saws that I pulled from the scrap pile that may or may not run.

I have an 045 and an 056 which are great saws but heavy. The one I am trying to fix is close to becoming a parts saw. It needs only the ignition fix and a hand guard. Piston and cylinder are good blah blah blah.

Not that I can determine unless you swap out the entire ignition system including the entire ignition system, flywheel and often the flywheel fan. I have tried to find an entire points and condenser system which can be converted to a modern electronic ignition system or an entire Bosch system for which you can find some parts. No joy to this point and I have tried many, many used parts sources.

Right--but when I did that on an 041 it was $40 or so. Granted, this is a bigger (and probably rarer) saw, so it'll likely cost a bit more. but not awful.

Then there's always the foggy sail fix (search for Foggysail Bosch 056 fix). But you'd need a Bosch setup to start from (but seeing as they're all toast, one should be cheap!)

--JC

Problem is I cannot find either of those two systems, points etc or Bosch, to replace the SEM system. One guy said he had 5 056s needing the transplant of SEM with points or Bosch.

My saw does not have this eccentric on the crank and the flywheel, to my knowledge can not be adapted. Thanks for the follow through Jon.

Does anyone know if the terminal crimp for the switch end of the wire for an 056 is still available? It's part number 0751 030 8492 . I didn't have any in my wire crimp box

I have not seen it for sale in any place I looked for 056 and 045 ignition parts. By the way I found a complete SEM ignition system for my saw.

I have not seen it for sale in any place I looked for 056 and 045 ignition parts. By the way I found a complete SEM ignition system for my saw.

I got a complete bosch ignition system with flywheel, an 051 full wrap handle, a stihl 041 muffler guard, a 066 and an 064 cylinder cover and an 041 oil pump for $40 shipped. The ignition module has the switch wire but it is missing the switch terminal.

Latest posts

Back