045/056 points ignition with chip and no lobed crank??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotaismygame

Juiced Saws #GetJuiced
Reaction score
I have a good working points ignition that I know will not work unless being used on a lobed style crank. If I chipped it would it work on a non lobed crank?

I have at least 3 more ignitions. Got way too many parts for these saws. Ill sell if you're interested. I'm unclear if the other ignitions are good but know for certain the points one does work.

If you have the Bosch electronic crank and flywheel that's going bad. Just buy the module from Europe for $120. It works well. I've used two in the past. You are going to get over $300 in a SEM changeover.

I don't think anyone is answering your question, so if I understand it, I think the answer is yes. Once you remove the points as the timing mechanism for the spark and replace it with one of the electronic chips that are available, the chip then decides when to trigger the spark based on the primary current in the coil as the FW magnets sweep past the coil. If you were to transfer the flywheel and new chipped coil to a saw with a different crank, you would just have to ensure that the flywheel magnets still have the same relationship to TDC as they originally did or the timing could be way off.

I agree with Old2stroke - I've never chipped an 056 ignition, but I've used the chips on many McCullochs - Once the chip is installed, the points are no longer relevant and the chip could care less what the crank configuration is.

However, I don't know if the chip works with the 056 ignitions, it should, as it works with the old-style 090 ignitions which are quite similar.

old2stroke and Jacob J. thank you. I was pretty certain that would be the case but wanted to double check.

Can make the answer really short: flywheel have 2 magnets = yes

Otherwise you will need to add or modify to get the second pulse.

Latest posts

Back