046 and .404

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2993

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just received the bar, chain and sprocket I got on Ebay for $32 for my 090, but contrary to the description, the bar is for the mid-size mount with 12mm studs.:angry: It's a near-new 25" Stihl rollomatic ES .404/.063ga with a near-new loop of RS chain and 7tooth rim.
The setup will fit my 046 just fine, but does the saw have enough power to run it? Anyone ever tried this before? I've drilled an extra 1/2" hole in the muffler, and am considering opening it up further. Maybe this will help it run the larger chain? The 7t .404 rim is slightly taller than the 7t 3/8 which is on it right now. I believe it is not quite as tall as a 8t 3/8 sprocket.
I e-mailed the guy about the problem and I will wait till I hear back from him before I try anything.
Thanks,
George

The .404-7 is almost exactly (10 mil more than) midway between 3/8-7 and 3/8-8 in pitch diameter.  So apart from the .404 being less flexible, if your saw can pull a 3/8-8 in what you cut, it sure ought to do the .404-7.

Unless you think 32 bucks is too much for the hardware, that is.

Glen

Well, I went ahead and tried it today. A friend of mine called me this morning, said he had a tree down in his driveway from the storms weve been having. So I put the bar, chain and sprocket on the 046, cut the hole in the muffler a little bigger, and went at it. No problem at all! Tore right through gnarly crotches and all.
I should add here that the seller was very accomodating about the situation and I am quite satisfied with the way things turned out. I'm sure I would have paid at least $80 for that stuff new, and it could have easily passed as new. He only charged $8 for shipping too.

Back