046 changing to .325 bar and chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osb_mail

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 046 saw that has 3/8 drive sprocket is it possible to change it to .325 18 inch bar and chain

Yes. All you would need to do is change the sprocket.

Might as well tell us why you want to do that because there will be 43 people beating their heads against the wall calling it a dumb idea.

Not my saw just sitting in the garage . I have 2 options 18 inch bar and chain or I have a 24 inch dolmar bar . I just wanted to get it together to have ready if needed to use .And did not want to spend much money. Does any know the part number for the sprocket that I would need ?

rim and drum

I have rim and drum setup I am going to order that part thanks for your help

hehe it's a case of people knocking it without actually trying it, I ran the 18" .325 setup on a 460 mag thinning saw, runs as smoooth as silk and absolutely tears thru any log or tree you put in front of it. The 3/8 chain setup is sturdier and stronger than the .325 stuff if you're getting jammed or if you're twisting and jerking on the bar with bad technique, but a wised-up operator can run the .325 on 70+cc's with never a problem

Hey PGG,

Did you cut with it for a long time or just a couple hours? I might try that myself. What do you think would be a stronger chain, 3/8 by .050 or 325 by .063?

v/r

Mike

hehe it's a case of people knocking it without actually trying it, I ran the 18" .325 setup on a 460 mag thinning saw, runs as smoooth as silk and absolutely tears thru any log or tree you put in front of it. The 3/8 chain setup is sturdier and stronger than the .325 stuff if you're getting jammed or if you're twisting and jerking on the bar with bad technique, but a wised-up operator can run the .325 on 70+cc's with never a problem

One of your better post, were you running a 7 pin or 8 pin? A 8 pin .325 and 7 pin 3/8 would be abouit the same chain speed. Over here I like a .325 7 pin on my strong 50 cc saws , a 46o should be able to pull a 8 pin but in really hard wood a 7 pin might do better. Steve

PGG, yeah you gotta wonder why anyone would run a chain with a thinner kerf, more cutters per foot and a higher pin sprocket. Everyone knows that a wider chain with less cutters is the hot ticket. The extra weight of the bar also saves the physical energy of loading the bar in the cut.:potstir:

You might get into a 'resonance' with the thinner bar under certain cutting conditions, usually a ripping cut. The bar tip will start to vibrate and open up the kerf. Changing the position of the bar will usually stop the resonance. The better alternative (looks like you're already on to it) is to use a modest cutting angle on the chain and a larger pin sprocket. The energy from the individual 'impacts' of the cutters is reduced and the extra speed smooths out the cut.

Last edited:
One of your better post, were you running a 7 pin or 8 pin? A 8 pin .325 and 7 pin 3/8 would be abouit the same chain speed. Over here I like a .325 7 pin on my strong 50 cc saws , a 46o should be able to pull a 8 pin but in really hard wood a 7 pin might do better. Steve

You can only get a 9 pin .325 for the standard hub size.

Yep, it will work fine.

Stay away from the narrow kerf chains and the Tri-Link stamped branded chains.

.325 x 9 x 18" was a zippy smooth setup on the 460, mostly .063 for the saws I use.

Unless it has changed, .325 was recommended for 60cc and smaller saws, narrow kerf for 50cc and smaller.

I have snapped narrow kerf and Tri-Link on 60cc saws, would not want to work a larger saw with those types of chains.

Make sure the oiler is working and keep the chain sharp.

As .325 is recommended for significantly less powerful saws it should be considered more dangerous than using .375 when .325 is being used outside of the recommended limitations. I would recommend that you think carefully about your desire to save some money and using a chain beyond it's recommended limits.

Last edited:
Just a thought, rather than going to all the trouble and expense of changing it over, it might be worth asking if someone has a used bar and chain combo they'd let go for cheap?
Even with the sprocket, you are still going to have to order an odd link count chain to work on it, I believe?
I'm not going to tell you not to do it, and I get you want to keep it on the cheap, but I think there might be a better way to get the end result you want.

Latest posts

Back