046 runs lean on occasion? any ideas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmc2003

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i have a 046 that has always ran great. it has new hoses and filter. new rings, and home made base gasket. it started to run lean on me yesterday. it will be running fine, then all of a sudden when idling it will slowly drop rpm and die. then when you start it back it revs out way too lean and won't idle for a bit. then it goes back to normal. i parked it for the day anyway. i'm thinkin maybe junk on the carb needle? or screen? i'm thinkin just rebuild the carb and start there. any other ideas?

maybe do pressure/vac test just for chits and giggles just to make sure.

ive had carbs cause living nightmares for me. i absolutly hate haveing carb troubles

i gotta add this also, but it sounds crazy. it only dies when i sit it down? it will idle as long as i hold it. maybe coincidence i dunno.

Sounds more like a tank vent issue (or crud in carb) than a sudden leaning out issue to me, but I am no expert.
If it was leaning out, the rpms would go up before it quit running, not down, imo.

well just to catch up on this, i think i got it figured out, sort of anyway. i pulled the carb to clean it and found the fuel line to be pinched severely somehow. not sure how, or why it hasn't caused problems by now. but anyway, i went through the carb just to be safe. it looked good. i trimmed my limit caps and put it all together and tuned it. ran great. i filled it full of fuel and sat it beside the shop. now this evening it was severely loaded up with fuel? it was sitting in the hot sun though. vent?

well, it runs awesome. like it always has. never given a problem in about a year. and i didn't change anything. just cleaned it out, but it was spotless anyway. i'm hopin the line was my original problem. i just don't understand why it hasn't caused problems before now.

i find it odd that you'll have a bunch of visits to your thread, buy pretty knowledgeable people, but hardly any responses. its odd. and the bs threads are just booming. not specifically talking about my topics, but i've noticed this a lot lately. anybody care to comment? even if its not about my saw.... let's discuss this topic. i'm in the hospital waiting room at egelston waiting on my baby to finish surgery and i gotta pass time.

Last edited:
i find it odd that you'll have a bunch of visits to your thread, buy pretty knowledgeable people, but hardly any responses. its odd. and the bs threads are just booming. not specifically talking about my topics, but i've noticed this a lot lately. anybody care to comment? even if its not about my saw.... let's discuss this topic. i'm in the hospital waiting room at egelston waiting on my baby to finish surgery and i gotta pass time.

I've noticed this also, I don't reply to a post unless I have some relevant imfo or something worth saying, so I don't reply too often. I do have an 044 that occasionally revs too hi, so your post here has been most interesting to me, mine does it very rarely, so I haven't worried about it too much, but would like to figure out what is causing it and fix the problem. Problem with my saw is, when I want to work on it, it performs flawlessly. I'll clean everything and see if it ever runs lean afterward.

Latest posts

Back