050/051 Cylinder Bolts - Do They Need To Be Torqued?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A straight extension wont effect the torque much. If the extension flexes or binds with the socket it will effect the torque some. Using a universal or swivel socket would make the torque wrench completely inaccurate.

A straight extension wont effect the torque much.

A high-quality long hex-wrench works fine with a torque-wrench. I still have a couple I bought from Sthil 40 years ago and they work fine. Some specially made for torquing jug-screws. In fact, some of the Allen/Hex wrenches that Stihl sold are the best quality I've ever seen - but I have no idea who made them for Sthil.

If Stihl had told all it factory workers NOT to to use torque wrenchs and to just tighten all hardware by "feel", many of their saws would of fallen apart.
My point being that guessing does not work well for everyone.

A straight extension wont effect the torque much. If the extension flexes or binds with the socket it will effect the torque some. Using a universal or swivel socket would make the torque wrench completely inaccurate.

it will only affect the application rate of the torque, as the attachment flexes, binds or slips there will be a difference in the wrench reading and the applied torque... but as the attachment locks in there will be no difference between the wrench and what is applied to the fastener...

torque bars for impact tools are much fatter than those that would work with the rate that a person would use a torque wrench.... torque bars are designed with a nominal application rate in mind, a torque bar for a 3/4 drive wouldnt torque with a 1/4 drive....

any fish, if the torque is applied straight through the wrench using flexes or wobbles without an offset there will be no measurabe difference than with a shallow socket....

A high-quality long hex-wrench works fine with a torque-wrench. I still have a couple I bought from Sthil 40 years ago and they work fine. Some specially made for torquing jug-screws. In fact, some of the Allen/Hex wrenches that Stihl sold are the best quality I've ever seen - but I have no idea who made them for Sthil.

If Stihl had told all it factory workers NOT to to use torque wrenchs and to just tighten all hardware by "feel", many of their saws would of fallen apart.
My point being that guessing does not work well for everyone.

also important to use torque fastners that use thread design, chemicals on threads, or other locking mechanisms, over torquing can make the locking aspect useless....

my question was more about the mechanics of using a long extension, as
to use it involves using the other hand, at least, to keep the wrench and
fastener tool perpendicular with the "work".

I use the "10 foot extension" example to exaggerate, but also illustrate
my point....

If I had a 3/8 drive torque wrench, and I needed to use a 10 foot extension,
then the results would be correct???

Also. Another note, since I have disassembled a few hundred MS290s, and those self tapping fasteners are in no way torqued consistantly, I guess the
self tapping **** does not involve torque wrenches????

Where is the guy that says he works for Stihl?

He should know....

DJ, just how big of a boy are you?????

my question was more about the mechanics of using a long extension, as
to use it involves using the other hand, at least, to keep the wrench and
fastener tool perpendicular with the "work".

I use the "10 foot extension" example to exaggerate, but also illustrate
my point....

If I had a 3/8 drive torque wrench, and I needed to use a 10 foot extension,
then the results would be correct???

Also. Another note, since I have disassembled a few hundred MS290s, and those self tapping fasteners are in no way torqued consistantly, I guess the
self tapping **** does not involve torque wrenches????

Where is the guy that says he works for Stihl?

He should know....

DJ, just how big of a boy are you?????

the mechanics of the torquing using an extension are the same as just a socket, and performance is within what you would be able to measure... you would have a difference to account for if you used a crows foot or box wrench for access, simple calculation though by accounting fo rthe difference in the level arm ratios... your exagarated point was understood, and made the problem clear...

i wont cant that fastners seem to be torqued properly when disassembled becasue there are too many variables, similar to the performance of chemical locking additive, but the design of the locking mechanisms do have torque limits such as gouging base material when overtorquing locking washers.... the self tapping locking mechanism is susceptable to binding of cut material in the threads...

btw, i never heard of roy mercer until your other post, funny stuff...

i want to clarify my comment of using a universal:

if the axis of rotation can be drawn through the universal with a simple arc, there is no affect.... unless the deflected angle provided by the universal is large, then binding in the universal could occur and indicate a higher applied torque....

opposite to this situation is that if the axis of rotation through the universal requires 2 arcs, then you have changed the lever arm and the universal is affecting the torque readings.... this affect could be either to increase or decrease applied torque...

in most situation a universal would be used for small deflection (say <150deg) and then there would be no affect.....

Back