056AV Spur Socket Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim K

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sure these are easy questions for most of you, and may seem like stupid questions. In preparation for hooking up my 056AV to an Alaskan CSM, I want to replace the spur socket. It appears replacing the socket requires removal of the clutch assembly that has an integral 19mm nut. A couple questions – is this a RN or LH thread and how do I keep the crankshaft from rotating while removing the clutch and sprocket? When replacing the clutch/nut what is the recommended torque? The current sprocket has 7 spurs. Should I stick with 7 spurs? Is there a rim and drum system available for a 056, and if so is that preferred to the open spur system? Is there anything else I should be replacing while I have the sprocket off, i.e., bearings? I’ll be running a 25” bar with .375/.050 ripping chain. Are there any recommended sources/supporters of this website that might stock the replacement 056 socket. The last question, where in the heck do I find the serial number on my saw? It is not in any obvious location that I can see. One source of information I read indicates the sockets are different for 056’s with SN’s before and after 10963560.

Thanks for any info, Jim

To change from rim to spur you need to change a bunch of stuff associated with the oil pump drive. Many of those parts parts aren't available new.. but plenty around used. There is a tech note explaining what you need to change.

The clutch is LH thread - CW for OFF. You block the piston with a coil of 3/8poly rope. Make sure the piston is above the exhaust port before inserting the rope. Hold the saw in a big vice by the inner dog and use a breaker bar with a 19mm socket. Use a torque wrench when reassembling. From memory it's about 33ft lbs, but I'll check.

Milling on a short bar? I'd go with with an 8 tooth rim...
Serial number - on the flat area above the inner dog.

056 spur socket replacement

Thanks for the info. I found the SN after rubbing away the oil saturated saw dust. I also now know some new terminally, the “inner dog”. I’ll remove the clutch assembly tomorrow and order a couple new sprockets. I guess I'll stay with the open spur.
Milling on a short bar? The CSM I have is a 24” Alaskan I purchased recently off CraigsList. I’ll use it to cut some timbers from 14”-18” red pine. If things go well and I get bitten by the bug, I'll consider getting a longer bar and longer rails for the mill. Jim K

Back