064/066 fuel tank leaks..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatjoe

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anybody run into problems sealing the fuel caps on 064/066 tanks.I`ve got an 064 and an 066 with the see through tanks that are leaking at the fill caps.I`ve tried changing caps and o-rings at the cap base, but still have leaking.These are both fairly low hour saws which I can find no defects or problems at the contact areas.Is this a commom problem and is there an oversized gasket, seal that Stihl offers for this problem???Any help Please, I don`t want to buy new tanks for these undamaged saws......

I got a 66 tank that does the same thing. I think I asked Tommy Hall and he said "you, my son, are SOL" ...it just happens with some of them. No known repair I've heard of other then throw money at a new-ER handle/tank. I hope you find a cure as they ain't cheap. But at least they are not Husky handles..I swear those thing are Gold plated or have Enron energy market pricing strategies....

I'm sure you are thinking what I was....a little dab of silicone in the right place and bam !!!

I got a 66 tank that does the same thing. I think I asked Tommy Hall and he said "you, my son, are SOL" ...it just happens with some of them. No known repair I've heard of other then throw money at a new-ER handle/tank. I hope you find a cure as they ain't cheap. But at least they are not Husky handles..I swear those thing are Gold plated or have Enron energy market pricing strategies....

I'm sure you are thinking what I was....a little dab of silicone in the right place and bam !!!

Actually, I was thinking that I would try and make a gasket out of inner tube rubber to fit over the existing gasket/seal.I`m not sure if the fuel will break down the rubber though.

fuel tank

lightly cover the outside of the fuel cap with silicone and some on the threads let it set then assemble

round $100-140 depending on if the tanks leaks or not :hmm3grin2orange:

I got a cheap one you can have for $75...it only leaks "a little bit"....hehe

Thats the scary part.You could buy a used one off of Ebay that looks great, but still still leaks.Like I said, my two "leakers" seem to be med/low hours saws that are in good condition.I also agree that a seep is no big deal, but over the last few days of using them it`s become a pain in the ars cause they drink fuel like crazy anyway, now I can`t fill them all the way cause they just leak too much.I did use a ruberized gasket material for a couple tank fulls, but that just ended up ripping.I need to find something really thin but durable and flexible.I was thinking about trying a windshield washer fluid bottle cut to the size of the fuel cap rubber.I know they hold up to fuel, but not sure if it would last.Here is a picture of the gaket I tried.View attachment 198101View attachment 198102

I have seen that style of cap crack internally and cause a leak, but the inside part with the slot in it usually pulls down thru the outer part shortly thereafter.

Try a different style fuel cap off another saw. I had this same problem with my 038 when I got it. I just took a fuel cap from a parts 026 and it sealed right up. :msp_thumbsup: just a suggestion

Try a different style fuel cap off another saw. I had this same problem with my 038 when I got it. I just took a fuel cap from a parts 026 and it sealed right up. :msp_thumbsup: just a suggestion

that was the 2nd thing I did...didn't work for me. I have tried with about 3 sets and none worked and yet the caps sealed on other tanks leading me to think it was the tank.

Back