064 coil boss.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,has anybody had success drilling and threading a case for coil mount?Working on an 064 that will only accept 11224001300 coil.Have another 064 that will accept both types of coils (2 mounts close together).It is fitted with 11224001300 coil.But I can fit different coils if this one fails.I know i can use this coil in the saw i am working on,but wanted to do the mount mod now so i can fit a different coil later if the 1224001300 coil fails.
I have several different flywheels 064/066 including a 2 keyway one so this side of it is not a problem.
Just wondering about mount.I have tried the 2 mount 064 with different flywheel / coil combos and all work ok with no timing problems.
Cheers,Chris.

Hi all,has anybody had success drilling and threading a case for coil mount?Working on an 064 that will only accept 11224001300 coil.Have another 064 that will accept both types of coils (2 mounts close together).It is fitted with 11224001300 coil.But I can fit different coils if this one fails.I know i can use this coil in the saw i am working on,but wanted to do the mount mod now so i can fit a different coil later if the 1224001300 coil fails.
I have several different flywheels 064/066 including a 2 keyway one so this side of it is not a problem.
Just wondering about mount.I have tried the 2 mount 064 with different flywheel / coil combos and all work ok with no timing problems.
Cheers,Chris.
Yes,
but I suggest using this cutting fluid or something like it, for insurance against galling when tapping the aluminum/magnesium.1478860737188-565011535.jpg
Sounds like you have a contigency plan anyway.
eBay has some really nice chinese helicoil kits for cheap. I use mine just about every day. In some applications like cylinder base threads it's a good idea to get some of the "2D" longer helicoils. I think 2D means twice the diameter in length. I keep 5mm and 6mm, and they aren't expensive from Asia.

Thanks both Alex and mad.There is no boss to drill and tap only the case. Would this hold enough threads?I Would have to make a spacer for bottom bolt.Will look into 046 coil.Will this be timed with the 064 flywheel?
Cheers,Chris.

There seems to be conflicting info on the 046 coil in 064 from the quick search i did.Does the 046 have the same mount spacings as later 066?I have a poly flywheel coil but this wont fit my 1124001300 mounts.
Chris.

There seems to be conflicting info on the 046 coil in 064 from the quick search i did.Does the 046 have the same mount spacings as later 066?I have a poly flywheel coil but this wont fit my 1124001300 mounts.
Chris.

Here is all you need to know about using a 046 coil:

Have a looky here:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-064-coils.174114/page-2

and here #2

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/bosch-coil-064.198325/#post-3599273

" The problem with the early 064 bosch coils is the bolt spacing on the coil. Some 064's have multiple mounting pads, but most early ones with the bosch coil do not.

You can use a 1128 000 1309 coil and use the top and bottom mounting holes if it will fit your case.

Here is a link I posted some pics in. Im too lazy to post em again." :D

LINK"

The 1128 000 1309 is the "dogleg" 046 coil

I assume the coil won't fire when the flywheel passes the bottom pole and middle pole due to the N/S magnet set up.As can be seen in one of my pics my original coil has a bottom leg but no pick up.Again mad i searched the coil# without 000 and found the ebay one-thanks again.
Cheers,Chris.

Yes,
but I suggest using this cutting fluid or something like it, for insurance against galling when tapping the aluminum/magnesium.View attachment 536470
Sounds like you have a contigency plan anyway.
eBay has some really nice chinese helicoil kits for cheap. I use mine just about every day. In some applications like cylinder base threads it's a good idea to get some of the "2D" longer helicoils. I think 2D means twice the diameter in length. I keep 5mm and 6mm, and they aren't expensive from Asia.

We call that stuff Rotten Ass Magic. You'd think they could change the smell!

Hi all,started saw today with my homemade bracket,common coil and flywheel to to match.All good,no timing issue and idles/revs great.Thank to all comments.
"Mad"- if I can get an 046 coil in Australia I will fit it.
Cheers,Chris.

I'm glad to hear the bracket idea worked with the universal coil. Was that with the flywheel (1122 400 1201)
that was used with the original bosch coil (1122 400 1300)?

If so I'll be making one up also. I've an early 064 with the bosch coil and early case with two holes.

When you have time could you post a picture of the bracket/adapter off the saw? Thanks!

P.S. One more question. What did you use for the bracket? Steel or a non-magnetic like aluminum or stainless? I'm thinking stainless might be best?

Back