064 oiler problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hautions11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey saw guru's, I need some help. I was miiling with my 064 this week-end and it stopped oiling. I gave it a once over tonight and ran a wire down the oil tube on the sproket side, nothing blocking there. Do pumps go bad? Anything else easily checked? I'm looking for some input as to what is most likely cause. Is the output adjustable? Thanks for any help that you could give.

I think the 064 has the "wire drive" oil pump. A wire tang is driven by the clutch drum to turn the oil pump driver and then the pump. The wire can break or the tip wear out. The wire can slip on the driver and the driver can strip its threads. Pull the clutch and clean and check all those parts behind it. When you put it back together check to be sure the wire tang is in the clutch drum notch. Mike

Do as rupedoggy suggests. If you see nothing wrong with the pump drive, pull the pump (two screws), and check the inlet to the pump - it may be blocked with crud. If so, pull the rubber tube into the tank and clean it and the tank out also.

The pumps are very reliable. The worm and worm arm tip can break, but it's very rare for the basic pump to fail. And yes, it's adjustable...

recently did almost exact what lakeside is describing to do. problem with my 064 oiling cleared right up.

really like my 064! barely heavier than 046, but substanially more grunt.

Thanks for the input. Doesn't sound too hard. I can see the pump behind the clutch drum. I need a small return spring for my chain brake handle as well. I can replace it while I have that side apart.
046, I've never compaered the 064 to an 046, I thought they were based on the 066 chassis. Can I lean on my 064 (porting etc like from Dean) to get output in the 066 range? Any experience out there. Thanks agin.

purposely left my 064 dead stock, it's plenty strong as is.
I'm running a 24in bar, mostly in hardwoods.

loads of others that have experience modding 064 should jump in...

I took the clutch off and found the oiler problem. The wire was free wheeling on the nylon gear section. Ordered the spring for the brake handle and I should be good to go. I ended up with an extra 064 piston and cylinder, so I may try a little upgrade. I found a factory dual port muffler and I feel like getting the extra cylinder ported for a little extra grunt. Thanks for all the input!

with porting like my woods port service, you can beat an 066 no problem, with more flow you will actually have to richen the carb from the stock settings, not lean it. you want to hear a bit of the blubbering sound at full throttle. if you tune it to sound real smooth you risk killing the saw quickly and you lose your power, not gain. i have ported several 064s and 066s and they get some huge power! have it ported right and you will not be able to tolerate stock saws anymore! :)

I have an extra 064 cylinder if anyone is interested in it for future porting work...

-Steve

I'm interested in the 064 cyl, please pm with info

thanks,

064 runs again

It's ALIVE! I got my new nylon gear with wire attachment and installed it easily. A local saw shop used an impact on the clutch so I could avoid rope in the cylinder etc... I fired it back up and found as much oil running under the clutch as comming out the oil port. Bad oil feed line! It was made out of some odd braided fabric. I started moving the hose around and it literally fell apart. I picked up the replacement from Stihl and it is a plastic universal, trim to fit unit with a brass fitting for the end and a spring to prevent colapse. What a pain to thread it through all the nooks and cranies. It works great and the saw never oiled this well. While apart I took the time to replace my trigger mechanism. When on full choke the trigger would not stay wide open. Too much play. The new trigger did not fix it so I ended up swapping out the whole carb mount plate. The tangs holding the choke rod were very worn. (thanks to the ebay parts saw) Once you take these apart a few times they are not too bad to work on. Now I need to get back to firewood, I can feel that cold North wind already.

Latest posts

Back