064 versions school me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have so many saws I can play around and try things with them as there is no need to have them all running at any given time . With some help from members back around 2007 I built three 066`s, all different from one another and built three 064`s, all different from each other, then played around with porting, I had 6 spare cylinders for each , 066 and 064. It was a learning curve and it helped me understand the differences.

I have so many saws I can play around and try things with them as there is no need to have them all running at any given time . With some help from members back around 2007 I built three 066`s, all different from one another and built three 064`s, all different from each other, then played around with porting, I had 6 spare cylinders for each , 066 and 064. It was a learning curve and it help[ed mt understand the differences.
So is there a "good" setup on the 064s? You never hear of anyone wanting a certain one, they just want one...

So is there a "good" setup on the 064s? You never hear of anyone wanting a certain one, they just want one...

Unless one owns more than one they likely never would know. Now the more experienced guys that have owned, built or are into porting can tell the difference between them, same as the difference between the 10 mm pin 044`s and the 12 mm pin ones. Things can be done with any of them by experienced porters/modders so its difficult to pin it down to one specific model setup.

Unless one owns more than one they likely never would know. Now the more experienced guys that have owned, built or are into porting can tell the difference between them, same as the difference between the 10 mm pin 044`s and the 12 mm pin ones. Things can be done with any of them by experienced porters/modders so its difficult to pin it down to one specific model setup.
That goes for any saw, but I think the OP was asking about factory fresh. He was also asking for feedback specifically from guys like you with experience with them, not pot stirrers like me. C'mon boss give up the goods.

What I can say about most every series saw from their time period is the earliest ones were the most powerful in stock form, powerful does not always mean the most robust strength wise. The early saws had less EPA restrictions on them, the saws get choked down as the years passed. There were some problems with the cranks and bearings in the 066 saws for the ones running long bars, long chains so the cranks and bearings got upsized to help deal with that. I will say my small crank saw is more powerful, faster spool up and does rev higher than my later EPA detuned ones. My favorite of them all is an 064 with a 066 P&C + carb on it, we call them hybrids.

What I can say about most every series saw from their time period is the earliest ones were the most powerful in stock form, powerful does not always mean the most robust strength wise. The early saws had less EPA restrictions on them, the saws get choked down as the years passed. There were some problems with the cranks and bearings in the 066 saws for the ones running long bars, long chains so the cranks and bearings got upsized to help deal with that. I will say my small crank saw is more powerful, faster spool up and does rev higher than my later EPA detuned ones. My favorite of them all is an 064 with a 066 P&C + carb on it, we call them hybrids.

Thanks for the information, I imagine the bearings and seals are readily available? I've watched some YouTube videos on the hybrids and I learned something.
Lets just say I'm not an expert on this series of saws but I don't want to get started on the wrong foot with them.
For instance I started with mini macs (110s ) and if I hadn't been given a 10-10 I might have never gone any further with chainsaws!
I appreciate your responses and feedback.

That goes for any saw, but I think the OP was asking about factory fresh. He was also asking for feedback specifically from guys like you with experience with them, not pot stirrers like me. C'mon boss give up the goods.

Thank you that is my intention with this thread , but if I get the chance I'll get a 346 , its mostly whats available for me in my area, could be I never see one because they are still running good for the owner.

064 didn’t go through changes like the 066/660 did. Other than hotter porting and the muffler on the earlier ones, going from the mesh fastback air filter to the hd2 is about the only thing that changed on the 064, isn’t it? Whereas the 066 had 2 or 3 case changes with different bearings, seals, cranks, flywheels, coils......

So anyway I read some late model 064s can swap starters and brake flags with the 066?

You can convert the metal-flywheel 066 to the 064 flywheel/starter/brake flag if you have the 064 flywheel that's timed for the non rev-limited ignition, but you can't just swap some parts.

If you see an original 064 and it has this sticker on the air filter cover, that's indicative of a saw with the rev-limited flywheel and ignition.

This is the low-profile air filter cover Kevin is talking about. If you see an original 064 with this cover, it indicates an early saw and those are the best to get. They had hotter porting, non rev-limited ignition and flywheel,
and the most fuel-generous carburetors.

The main changes to the 064 were:
Switching from the low-profile air filter system to the HD filter base, filter, and cover
Bing 49 Carbs on the early saws, swapped over to Walbro WJ-6/10/35/65
Three variations of clutches
Two variations of mufflers - one flat bottom and the newer one as an arched bottom (if you want to use the newer arched-bottom muffler with the early cylinder, then you need the exhaust spacer 1122 145 1200)
Early non-clear gas tank, and later clear gas tank
Early thick intake boot with narrower throat at the airbox and no intake sleeve, and later "improved" intake boot with intake sleeve and washer
Early and late air boxes, each of which is only "compatible" with the early and late intake boots
Early non rev-limited ignition (1122 400 1300 "Dogleg" coil) swapped to CDIC rev-limited (1122 400 1303) ignition, then swapped to the "universal" 0000 400 1300 non rev-limited ignition
Early non rev-limited flywheel (1122 400 1201) swapped to rev-limited flywheel (1122 400 1204) compatible with CDIC coil, then swapped to "universal" flywheel (1122 400 1203) with dual key-ways
Three variations of cylinders: early ones made by Kolbenschmidt, later ones made by Mahle, and still even later ones made by Gilardoni. The early saws usually came with the Kolbenschmidt jugs which were good runners.

Is that enough to make your head explode?

You can convert the metal-flywheel 066 to the 064 flywheel/starter/brake flag if you have the 064 flywheel that's timed for the non rev-limited ignition, but you can't just swap some parts.

If you see an original 064 and it has this sticker on the air filter cover, that's indicative of a saw with the rev-limited flywheel and ignition.

This is the low-profile air filter cover Kevin is talking about. If you see an original 064 with this cover, it indicates an early saw and those are the best to get. They had hotter porting, non rev-limited ignition and flywheel,
and the most fuel-generous carburetors.

The main changes to the 064 were:
Switching from the low-profile air filter system to the HD filter base, filter, and cover
Bing 49 Carbs on the early saws, swapped over to Walbro WJ-6/10/35/65
Three variations of clutches
Two variations of mufflers - one flat bottom and the newer one as an arched bottom (if you want to use the newer arched-bottom muffler with the early cylinder, then you need the exhaust spacer 1122 145 1200)
Early non-clear gas tank, and later clear gas tank
Early thick intake boot with narrower throat at the airbox and no intake sleeve, and later "improved" intake boot with intake sleeve and washer
Early and late air boxes, each of which is only "compatible" with the early and late intake boots
Early non rev-limited ignition (1122 400 1300 "Dogleg" coil) swapped to CDIC rev-limited (1122 400 1303) ignition, then swapped to the "universal" 0000 400 1300 non rev-limited ignition
Early non rev-limited flywheel (1122 400 1201) swapped to rev-limited flywheel (1122 400 1204) compatible with CDIC coil, then swapped to "universal" flywheel (1122 400 1203) with dual key-ways
Three variations of cylinders: early ones made by Kolbenschmidt, later ones made by Mahle, and still even later ones made by Gilardoni. The early saws usually came with the Kolbenschmidt jugs which were good runners.

Is that enough to make your head explode?

Perfect! Well an air cleaner is easy to spot when digging through a pile of saws ! Thats good start and it gives me some place to start.
Thank you Jacob.

https://reading.craigslist.org/grd/d/boyertown-husqvarna-346xp/7030271493.html

If your interested in a LEGENDARY saw I'm going to be in the area for Christmas and I could pick it up for you? I would be willing to trade for a old crappy saw like a pro Mac 800 , sp81, super 850 or other slow revving garbage.
I had a nice Mac haul last spring, but it's long gone now.
20190508_192846.jpg
Thank you for the offer. That is about the going rate for what looks to be a 42mm "OE" 346. Tough to beat a 16" bar saw that free revs to nearly 15k in smaller wood. Since I have three of them in various colors right now I'll have to pass.

I had a nice Mac haul last spring, but it's long gone now.
View attachment 782047
Thank you for the offer. That is about the going rate for what looks to be a 42mm "OE" 346. Tough to beat a 16" bar saw that free revs to nearly 15k in smaller wood. Since I have three of them in various colors right now I'll have to pass.
Well keep me in mind, i know a fellow with a tractor trailer load of saws but finding a 80cc mac around me is proving difficult.

Lots of 064s around here still. I think theres 3-4 for sale right now. I’ve had a few go through my hands and have one taken apart in a box that needs built

Back