064 vs ms461 cutting speed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just out of interest, what should cut faster in 20" aussie hardwood a stock MS461 7pin or an 064 with 8pin, gutted muffler and enlarged exhaust port (enlarged to baffle size)? Assuming same chains etc.. Have a mate that reckons his 461 pulls real well, but my 064's a strong runner so thinking I might take up the challenge and we'll cut some cookies under the stop watch... I guess if he's pulling ahead I can always dog in:chainsaw:

Never have run a 461,could be I'll never have the chance, all a know is my 64 has a lot of plain old "push". According to specs I can find the 64 has a 1/2 hp more than the 461, hp doesn't always mean a whole lot. Have fun with your cookie cutter.

yeah I'm thinking the 064 should be all over the 461. Unless the 461 revs that much higher the 8 pin can't make up for the loss of rpms due to the 064 being a lower revver...

I haven't run a 461 but had a 460 for a while. I also have an 064. 064 is a lot stronger saw. On a side note, doesn't feel much bigger or heavier when you're using it

yaknow your gonna get flamed by all the revheads that think small saws will beat a big saw in small wood.......................

I really like my 064 had to look along time to find it, it's a west coast saw, 3/4 wraps, big dogs,chain catcher, big side cover. One saw I will never sell, unless I can find a brand new one in the box.

yaknow your gonna get flamed by all the revheads that think small saws will beat a big saw in small wood.......................
keep hearing it but it's never been my experience unless we're talking 090 vs 550xp in 8" softwood...
I haven't run a 461 but had a 460 for a while. I also have an 064. 064 is a lot stronger saw. On a side note, doesn't feel much bigger or heavier when you're using it
I haven't run a 461 either but they say they are gutsy. And I have picked one up and don't see the 064 as being noticeably heavier!

OK sounds like it's safe for me to challenge ;) Might put a square ground chain on to really rub his nose in it!

I ran them both side by side in the same log a couple months ago. I think they both had 25 in bars and 7t sprockets but I dont remember for sure. They were very close. The 064 was a little faster, but it was close enough that I wouldn't put any money on either of them.

Back