MS461 vs MS440/460 Hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got the opportunity to make this comparison that I've been wanting to see. The MS461 is a fantastic running saw. However, I've been saying for some time now, that it doesn't seem to have that same wow factor that other 70cc class saws have, once ported. To me, a ported saw should make both RPMs and torque. That's my opinion, that's what I like, that's what I expect from my work. So, I went on a mission to see if I could find those RPMs I was looking for.

The standard of comparison for this build was my personal MS440/460 hybrid. This is an very strong running saw that has a fair amount of time on it and is well broken in. This saw should be a little stronger than the hybrid that I built for Young. Young's hybrid is the saw that was almost 10% faster than his MS461 w/ 30" bar and 8-pin rim. His saw does not have a popup, this one does. That meant that I had my work cut out for me to try and catch this hybrid.

With an 8-pin rim, this MS461 that I just built is dead even with my MS440/460 hybrid:clap: I have it tuned to 14,800 and it 4-strokes readily in the cut when I let off the load. It holds 11,500 RPMs with a moderate load and 10,500 with a heavy load. Throttle response is electric motor like, just like a 346XP. Also, it spools up to WOT instantly. It's very easy to operate, with a very broad torque band. This is what makes the MS461 so special. It's just so user friendly and easy to use.

Now for a little twist. Long ago, I gave up running 8-pin rims on anything smaller than a 90c class saw. In hard wood with a longer bar, I have found that a 7-pin rim is not only faster, but easier to operate. It's just more forgiving. Both the MS461 and MS440/460 hybrid are faster with a 7-pin rim, with this setup in this wood. With a 7-pin rim, the MS440/460 is 12% faster than the MS461. The MS440/460 makes more RPMs than the MS461. I have it tuned to 15,500 RPMs. With the 7-pin rim on a 28" bar buried in hard wood, it simiply can hold more RPMs than the MS461. BUT, swap to a 8-pin rim, and it's now dead even with the MS461. Let me try to explain what this really means. The MS440/460 drops nearly 17% in cut times when going to a 8-pin rim. The MS461 only drops 4.2%. What we're seeing is that broad powerband that everyone loves in the MS461.

What does all this really mean to me? To me, it means that the MS440/460 is the stronger faster saw in this scenario. For me to call the MS461 stronger, it would need to be wearing longer than a 28" with an 8-pin rim for it to pull ahead. I simply don't setup and use a saw of this size like that. On the other hand, evidence shows that the MS461 has an extremely broad, user friendly powerband. Which saw is the best for you? Only you can answer that. What do you like in a saw?

This has been a little difficult to try to convey, but I hope it helps us understand the differences in these two saws.

[video=youtube_share;FFtVPAm-Ytc]http://youtu.be/FFtVPAm-Ytc[/video]

can't

Great job Brad!:clap: Those saws sound and perform awesome. Love the video! We all know that the stock 461 beats a stock 460 so Stihl has done there homework. We can't bash on the 461 because probably 98% of the saws sold stay stock. I would really like to know how that 461 runs after ten tanks or so. Have you messed with that doohickey that stuffs under the piston? What's the comp on those saws? Do both saws run the same port numbers?
I love my 460 and my 461 so the CAD in me says keep both:rock:

Now what would my 460 with a larger volume case and I believe a pop up in it shake out like in this mix?? I'm not positive but I think you out a pop up in it.

Great job Brad!:clap: Those saws sound and perform awesome. Love the video! We all know that the stock 461 beats a stock 460 so Stihl has done there homework. We can't bash on the 461 because probably 98% of the saws sold stay stock. I would really like to know how that 461 runs after ten tanks or so. Have you messed with that doohickey that stuffs under the piston? What's the comp on those saws? Do both saws run the same port numbers?
I love my 460 and my 461 so the CAD in me says keep both:rock:

Port timing is not the same on both saws. I did not alter the doohickey, lol. Compression is 180-190 on both saws. Yes, the 461 is a fantastic saw with nothing more than a muffler mod.

Forgot to thank you for the comparison!! Do you recall if I have a pop up or not Brad?

It seems to me the 461 would be the go to saw if you need to use a 32" bar and full comp chain.

It very well may be. I would still expect the hybrid to be faster, as long as you were running a 7-pin rim. Faster isn't everything though. Again, it depends on what you need/want.

How about doing a run with 32" full comp just for GP:cool2:
will the stock oiler on the 461 keep up with a 28-32" bar? nice thread/comparison as well!

it just seems that these new stihls' don't oil enough. 20" bar on our 261's for extra reach seems questionable in a bigger cut.

Back