MS461 vs MS440/460 Hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh my, you definately don't want to smoke that bar! $$$$$ i have a logging outfit up here that i farm out my bigger tree work to. they run 441cm-r's exclusivly now, w/25" bars, and honestly they seem to do ok. i am just used to seeing oil everywhere on the older saws, and is not that way any more.

oh my, you definately don't want to smoke that bar! $$$$$ i have a logging outfit up here that i farm out my bigger tree work to. they run 441cm-r's exclusivly now, w/25" bars, and honestly they seem to do ok. i am just used to seeing oil everywhere on the older saws, and is not that way any more.

I hear ya, it will wear the 25 bar most of the time. And you are correct my 038 puts out the oil

Great job Brad!:clap: Those saws sound and perform awesome. Love the video! We all know that the stock 461 beats a stock 460 so Stihl has done there homework. We can't bash on the 461 because probably 98% of the saws sold stay stock. I would really like to know how that 461 runs after ten tanks or so. Have you messed with that doohickey that stuffs under the piston? What's the comp on those saws? Do both saws run the same port numbers?
I love my 460 and my 461 so the CAD in me says keep both:rock:

I'll post a vid of it after 10 or so tanks

What was done to the 461 ignition, I know they advance above idle, Are they limited also?

It looks like the 461 would like a few swipes off the rakers. Did you have to advance it more than 1/2 of the flywheel key to gain what was lost with the 460 coil?

I assumed same chain, just seemed like to 461 wasn't working as hard. I haven't compared Timing of a 460 coil to a 461's yet. I was under the impression that the 461 has more advance in it than the 1312 2 leg coil.

Good deal Brad. Both saws seemed pretty even when it comes max power. Overall the outcome was about what I expected. The 461 like most Stihl saws, is top notch. However I really see nothing ground breaking, and it doesn't really offer anything truly new to an already top of the line saw.:cheers:

Awesome comparison, Brad. I've been using a 461, woods ported and I must say, on long skids I put more wood on the ground than my skidder guy can pick up! I was regretting that I didn't hang on to my old 046 and have it modded but for my purposes, the 461 is PLENTY of saw for me. The rest of my crew runs stock 390xp's and of course, there ensues the usual Stihl/Husky debate on a daily basis...

Awesome comparison, Brad. I've been using a 461, woods ported and I must say, on long skids I put more wood on the ground than my skidder guy can pick up! I was regretting that I didn't hang on to my old 046 and have it modded but for my purposes, the 461 is PLENTY of saw for me. The rest of my crew runs stock 390xp's and of course, there ensues the usual Stihl/Husky debate on a daily basis...

my 460 is a lot lighter than me 390 i know what i'd rather be lug'n around all day

my 46 0 is a lot lighter than me 390 i know what i'd rather be lug'n around all day

Exactly! That's why I bought my 461 in the first place - I love having all that power in a 70cc class saw. I'm running a 25" b&c and still going strong after 8 hrs. when the rest of the crew is ready to pack up for the day.

Exactly! That's why I bought my 461 in the first place - I love having all that power in a 70cc class saw. I'm running a 25" b&c and still going strong after 8 hrs. when the rest of the crew is ready to pack up for the day.

put one of these on and you will love it even more

attachment.php

put one of these on and you will love it even more

attachment.php

I've been considering buying them. Occasionally we get into really big stuff and I want to see how it pulls a 32". I'll go with the light bar most likely. My only concern is that I do a lot of plunge cutting. Do you think they hold up as well?

Back