MS461 vs MS440/460 Hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been considering buying them. Occasionally we get into really big stuff and I want to see how it pulls a 32". I'll go with the light bar most likely. My only concern is that I do a lot of plunge cutting. Do you think they hold up as well?

same sprocket tip as the standard ES

Yes, it's brand new. It had one tank of fuel through it when the vid was made. No before vids. I have no wood here that size and had to drive to make this vid.

Hate to be the one to say it, but the test is a bit flawed then. A brand new, nowhere near broken in 461, that ur not even sure how much % you gained in porting, against a proven, well broken in saw.

Run about 20 tanks thru the 461, rinse and repeat....

Hate to be the one to say it, but the test is a bit flawed then. A brand new, nowhere near broken in 461, that ur not even sure how much % you gained in porting, against a proven, well broken in saw.

Run about 20 tanks thru the 461, rinse and repeat....

I tried to make that all very clear in the first post. And, while it's not broken in, the difference isn't going to be a game changer once it is. The goal was not to put a number on how much the 461 gained, rather how it compared to my hybrid. I feel that I accomplished my goal.

Furthermore, with an 8-pin rim, setup like the saws in your vid, it equaled the performance of the hybrid. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:
You can send that 461 to me and I'll put it on my dyno I'm building. I'll break it in really good. Then I'll put it on with my stock 461 and we can see the true gain. I can't wait to get this dyno done. So much info could be found. Like how many tanks it takes to get a saw to its max. Or what port numbers, comp and ignition advances do for power. I think I could have more fun on a dyno than in the wood.

I tried to make that all very clear in the first post. And, while it's not broken in, the difference isn't going to be a game changer once it is. The goal was not to put a number on how much the 461 gained, rather how it compared to my hybrid. I feel that I accomplished my goal.

Maybe I don't get it then...

ES bars

same sprocket tip as the standard ES

Stihl ES bars come with a 11 tooth sprocket or a 13 tooth sprocket. Stihl recommends the 13 tooth for alot of bore cutting or cutting with the tip.Most logger around here use the 13 tooth because the 11 tooth are not as durable for this type of cutting.The ES lite only comes with the 11 tooth.

what's not to get? He wanted to see if he could make a brand new one run with his proven hybrid by using a recipe he thought would get him there. Looks like he did. I'm just butt hurt I didn't get to run it :msp_tongue:

Just the test is a bit flawed. No before vid to see how much the 461 gained. For all we know, the 461 was stock. :laugh:

Nah, I know Brad better. :)

But still, how much did the 461 gain? No way to tell without a before vid.

Also, A brand new saw, with tight bearings, and rings that haven't even began to seat is another thing. I know new saws will loosen up with some run time. Id be willing to bet several tanks later, as close as those two saws are, that the edge would go to the 461...

Right O i didnt know that cheers.

here ya go andrew

attachment.php

Back