Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fulldraw84

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was talking to a local guy about keeping an eye out for a 066 for me. I want to get into milling and figured that this would be a good addition to the fleet and deffinitley a saw that would handle most everything i would through at it. I currently have a 361 and 192 which from what i've gathered here are too small for milling. Anyhow this cat says he has a 064 that he will sell me. Are these good saws or should i keep looking for a 066? He wants $400 for it since he has two and doesn't use this one. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

stihl 064

hey fulldraw, looks like the 064 comes in around 89cc, which is awfully close to an 066 (91). the hp of the 066 will be higher, but the 064 i believe is one of the old school long stroke designs meaning it'll have more torque, which is definitely a bonus for milling. i'd say depending on the condition of the saw, go for it. you could always offer 300, which might be a bit more realistic in terms of price. for example, there's a 051 on ebay for 260, which i think is pretty comparable to the 064 in terms of size. good luck and keep us posted.

Hi Fulldraw,

Welcome!

If memory serves, the 064 does not come with a decompression valve which may or may not weigh in on your decision. If the saw is in great shape, it is probably worth around that, but if not, the same money will buy a reasonable 066, and parts are a bit more available. Yes, this size saw is the one you are looking for for milling... I've got two 066's (one was really inexpensive) and they do all my milling. I'd no go with anything smaller unless I'm milling 16" logs.

Hope that helps a bit.

Schumann

From memory the 064 is more like 85cc. It also does not rev as high as high as an 066 so don't expect 066 performance from it. It's still a good saw but it's not in the same class as the 066.

The 066 evolved from the 064, and the early 066 cranks may be the same as the 064. Stihl beefed up the 066 at the same time that they switched from the aluminum flywheel to the poly flywheel. There are guys on the chainsaw board who have put 066 big bore kits on 064s by making some changes. The 066 has larger cylinder base bolts, but the stroke is the same.

For milling I would prefer a poly flywheel 066/660 to the earlier version or the 064.

85cc, same stroke as 066, not quite as sturdy bottom end. Some parts like the oil pump do not interchange with the 066/660. A nice felling and bucking saw, but not the ultimate milling saw, unless the price was too good to pass up.

I'm going to slip over to take a look at this saw sometime. The history that goes with this saw is that a local tree service guy was the first to own it. When he got out of the business he sold it to another local tree service guy. The second guy has this 064 and another the he uses more. Basically this one has been sitting for a bit possibly run every once in a while. Neither guy is too ambitious and basically just does tree work to pretty much keep the bills paid not going at it too hard.

A lot of guys mill with an 064. If it's in nice shape, try to bag it at $375. If you say "wow", you can spend $400 and not feel bad. Assuming good mechanicals. Have him pull the muffler and look at the cylinder and piston. Should be shiny with no real scratches or wear lines

Mark

Latest posts

Back