066 flywheel puller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagonwheeler

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Been gone a while, 2 funerals and a lot of travelling, but am back and need some help reviving a smoked 066 (make that 3 funerals).

As you can see in the pics, the piston and rings got quite cozy. Also, the flywheel (polymer) is missing about 1/2 it's vanes and needs replacement. I assume retaining a polymer flywheel is appropriate.

Does anyone have the p/n for the flywheel puller for a 1998/1999 066? Serial number starts 1 44 468 XXX. Or will making a puller w/ 1/2" pipe and a nut work? I do have a 20ton shop press but haven't investigated using it in any way.

Dealer is talking $215 for piston/cyl set :taped:. $95 for flywheel:censored: . For the money a new piston/cyl set seems a good value, not so sure about the flywheel, though.

Anything else I should do while I'm in there? I do plan on replacing the impulse hose. (And cyl base gasket of course). Decomp valve?

TIA,

Chaser

Last edited:
Dealer gave me a puller # 1106 890 4501 for $25. Kinda steep for a flywheel that's no good. But I don't wanna damage the crank.

So I'm going to take a quick look at using my press or making a puller. The flywheel is no good so I'm not too concerned about it's threads.

Anyone used a slide hammer for this?

Chaser

Plenty of used flywheels out there for a lot less money. You need to retain the polymer version. If you need one, PM me and I'll direct you to one. You could get a good used cylinder for a lot less, or a used cylinder and put in a new piston etc, but there is something nice about new/new. I can get you a good deal on a new piston (just happen to have one spare - genuine Stihl.. in box).

The flywheel puller is really a good "investment. You can get them all day long on ebay for less than $20, but beat up your dealer for one at his cost if you buy the other stuff from him, or, ask him to lend it to you, or, have him pop off your flywheel (it takes seconds). Part number 1110-890-4500.

Decomp valve - only if loose or sloppy. Impulse - only if stiff or cracked. Both of these are easy to replace later or at any time. Do a pressure test though to check your seals, particularly the flywheel side.

As you can see in the pics, the piston and rings got quite cozy. Also, the flywheel (polymer) is missing about 1/2 it's vanes and needs replacement. I assume retaining a polymer flywheel is appropriate.

I believe you have to stay with the poly flywheel. They changed the end of the crankshaft size when they changed the flywheel from metal to poly, I believe.

Does anyone have the p/n for the flywheel puller for a 1998/1999 066?

The poly flywheel on the 066 takes the larger flywheel puller (for 084 088), not the standard one for the 044, 046 etc. I believe it's part number 1106 890 4501.

Or will making a puller w/ 1/2" pipe and a nut work?

Not sure, hope someone can help with that.

Dealer is talking $215 for piston/cyl set . $95 for flywheel . For the money a new piston/cyl set seems a good value, not so sure about the flywheel, though.

Fair price for a new Piston/Cylinder. Although, from the photo of your cylinder I may just clean up the residuel, hone it and reuse it. Spend about 90 bucks for a new piston and call it good. As for the valve, you would have to pressure test the system to see if it is leaking. If you replace both the piston and cylinder then I would replace the decomp valve (they are pricey though, about 20 bucks). You can usually find flywheels on ebay for a much better price. Usually under 20 bucks. If your not in a real hurry and can wait to get one.

Anything else I should do while I'm in there? I do plan on replacing the impulse hose. (And cyl base gasket of course).

I would really test the case, to see how the seals are. You can order an entire 066 oil seal/gasket kit for about 25 bucks, part number 1122 007 1053. That includes all the 066 gaskets, and both oil seals, (may even have 3 oil seals, since the 066 uses two flywheel size ones, depending on vintage)

Tom

wagonwheeler said:
Dealer gave me a puller # 1106 890 4501 for $25. Kinda steep for a flywheel that's no good. But I don't wanna damage the crank.

So I'm going to take a quick look at using my press or making a puller. The flywheel is no good so I'm not too concerned about it's threads.

Anyone used a slide hammer for this?

Chaser

Don't use a slide hammer... shock is not the solution - just constant PULL (not press) pressure until it pops off. yes, Thompson is right, you need the - 4501 version which is NOT the version found all over ebay... and it is a lot more expensive. Maybe someone on AS will lend you one for a day for the cost of postage? Where are you located? .

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I'll take a closer look at the cylinder. Just replacing the piston would be a better deal by far.

And its better I'm sure to have used/new with good seals than new/new w/ weak seals.

Lake, I sent you a PM.

Chaser

Chaser I dont know if a 1/2" pipe will work on that flywheel I have never tried it, I do know that it will work on an 028 I made one with a nut welded on the end of it, I used to have a picture of it on here but I removed it from my site so the link is gone. One thing about using the 1/2" pipe is you will have to cut off the first 1/3 of the thread where it is tapered it is to loose, but once you have done that then it will fit the 028.

Back