066 Mag Score and Chain Brake help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SandMan

SandMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Scored an 066 Magnum for what I would consider cheap, $239. It is way lighter than I expected and relatively easy to handle, though I'm not a small dude. Has great compression and everything except the chain brake works. Actually, if I trigger the bell crank mechanism the chain brake does work, but the hand guard will not trigger the brake. The hand guard just flops back and forth as the pivot area of the hand guard is messed up and lacks the portion that rests against the cam lever (pic attached). Does this missing portion also trigger the brake? Is there something else that triggers the brake? Hard for me to tell without a good one to look at. Is the cam lever and/or bell crank mechanism what holds up the hand guard during normal operation? Any help most appreciated. What's a fair price for a good condition used replacement part? Anyone have one?

Thanks!
attachment.php

cbfarmall

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
That's a great price for a 066 in any kind of shape. I paid about that for mine and it wasn't a runner. Needed a new ignition and about $70 in parts to make it nice. In the end it was worth it.

Anyway, to answer your question: Yes, the mechanism is what supports the handle. If it's anything like my 084 handle (the most recent one I've had apart), then the mechanism that trips the brake is enclosed by the plastic guard. Sounds like you need a new handle.

Check Ebay for the parts, or maybe klickitatsackett on this site.

Chris B.

Last edited:
SandMan

SandMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks Chris- I couldn't see anything else that was missing like maybe a cable or additional spring. Looks like the screwed up handle is the issue and the missing section of the pivot area is what should trigger the mechanism. Yeah, not a bad deal on this one at all. Other than the hand guard, nothing is broken or cracked and the only thing missing is the outer bumper spike. Also came with a 20" RollomaticE with only moderate wear and a RM chain with a little life left in it. My access to 'free' firewood usually includes 24"+ oak or maybe slightly smaller hickory, but 'free' may mean helping to clear less desireable trees too. Will be nice to get more done as splitting the bigger ones takes a while. With a 20" bar it should blow right through anything- as soon as I make it weekend warrior safe.

Latest posts