066 value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing to keep in mind when selling on ebay is that adding a bar makes a saw worth more (although less than the actual value of the b&c), but also can drastically increase the shipping costs due to needing a MUCH larger box - especially with longer bars like that. Keep in mind that the ebay machine also takes 10% of what you charge for shipping. IMO it's less of a hastle to sell powerheads only on ebay.

Yeah I figured that. I would probably try to ship separate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bower4311 -

I'm getting ready to sell a 660 I just finished and was checking ebay to see where prices are at right now. While doing this I stumbled across the saw you're inquiring about. I don't want to tread where I'm not welcome, but you might want to think twice about this purchase if it's not too late...

The seller says it'll start and rev, but won't idle. Under normal circumstances that could be as simple as a small tweak on the carb or a good cleaning. BUT, this seller has graciously provided a compression number . . . 110 psi. That's very low and indicates a problem and is also likely the reason it won't idle. Low compression will typically cause poor/no idle. It could just need new rings, but given such a low compression and the fact that the saw doesn't look like it's exactly been well taken care of I would guess it's scored. If you are still interested in it you shoud probably budget for a new top-end on the rebuild . . . which isn't cheap. Might want to really think about this purchase...

bower4311 -

I'm getting ready to sell a 660 I just finished and was checking ebay to see where prices are at right now. While doing this I stumbled across the saw you're inquiring about. I don't want to tread where I'm not welcome, but you might want to think twice about this purchase if it's not too late...

The seller says it'll start and rev, but won't idle. Under normal circumstances that could be as simple as a small tweak on the carb or a good cleaning. BUT, this seller has graciously provided a compression number . . . 110 psi. That's very low and indicates a problem and is also likely the reason it won't idle. Low compression will typically cause poor/no idle. It could just need new rings, but given such a low compression and the fact that the saw doesn't look like it's exactly been well taken care of I would guess it's scored. If you are still interested in it you shoud probably budget for a new top-end on the rebuild . . . which isn't cheap. Might want to really think about this purchase...

The saw I am inquiring about did not come from ebay. The guy said it looks like the muffler was welded on so I can't confirm anything with the p & c, therefore I was coming back to get a second opinion on the price I should consider paying.

Oh yeah, I see it now. He posted in Craigslist too without the compression numbers. How much do you think would be worth it?

I was just posting here assuming the P & C were good, I asked him to pull the muffler and he said it looks like the top two screws are welded on. Doesn't the muffler only have two bottom screws? I am not too familiar with the 066 family. I came back to post saying how much for a non guaranteed P & C and got your message and went to ebay.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I see it now. He posted in Craigslist too without the compression numbers. How much do you think would be worth it?

I was just posting here assuming the P & C were good, I asked him to pull the muffler and he said it looks like the top two screws are welded on. Doesn't the muffler only have two bottom screws? I am not too familiar with the 066 family. I came back to post saying how much for a non guaranteed P & C and got your message and went to ebay.

To each his own, but I would run - far and fast - from that saw. The costs associated with a new top end, fanwheel cover, chain sprocket cover, and both top plastics is getting up there. And that's not even considering bearings & seals which you should assume need to be replaced - especially if you're going ahead with a top end rebuild.

Just too many questions unanswered to figure it's worth much at all. Maybe the cylinder is still good or could be cleaned up? If so, that would save a lot of money on the rebuild. If you offered it to me right now with what I know my max amount would be $50 if I intended to rebuild and sell it. Everybody has their own approaches, but I never pay more for a saw than I think, worst case, I could get back by selling off the good parts if the project goes south.

To answer your other question; The muffler front plate is attached with four screws; two very short ones on top that just attach the front plate to the body and two longer ones at the bottom that hold the front plate to the body as well as mount it all to the case. There are also two internal screws that secure the body to the cylinder.

He says someone is going to buy it for 350. Best of luck to them.

I wouldn't want to work on or re-build a saw that has the muffler welded on (...to the cylinder???)

Those are the saws that always have stripped bolt holes and over-torqued bolts, just a big head ache.

We'll see a new poster on here soon regarding the beat up 066 they bought and how do they get the .... off of it for replacement. lol

I bought 066 a couple weeks ago for $500. it was rebuilt with a big bore kit? It runs like a scared chimp. its kind of heavy tho. Compared to my 440 mag. I ran it all day and skipped the gym that night that's for sure. I guess it will take a while to get used too?
J

Heavy? You're Kidding.

I bought 066 a couple weeks ago for $500. it was rebuilt with a big bore kit? It runs like a scared chimp. its kind of heavy tho. Compared to my 440 mag. I ran it all day and skipped the gym that night that's for sure. I guess it will take a while to get used too?
J
You really think that 066 is heavy? Try either an 084 or 088 on for size. Perhaps you need more trips to the gym and concentrate on weight lifting.

You really think that 066 is heavy? Try either an 084 or 088 on for size. Perhaps you need more trips to the gym and concentrate on weight lifting.

I have an MS660 and I think it's heavy. Not for the amount of power it has and I use it when I need to but don't do much limbing with it...

It's a featherweight compared to some of the old iron that people used in days past. But if I'm swinging one through the tops I like the 026.

I have an MS660 and I think it's heavy. Not for the amount of power it has and I use it when I need to but don't do much limbing with it...

It's a featherweight compared to some of the old iron that people used in days past. But if I'm swinging one through the tops I like the 026.
A Stihl MS660 was never designed for limbing or even small bucking. Here's what it was designed for:

Note: That's a 36" bar on board.

A Stihl MS660 was never designed for limbing or even small bucking. Here's what it was designed for:

Note: That's a 36" bar on board.

I'm not a small guy. But throwing that 066 around wore me out. I ran my buddies 090. Now that like throwing around one of those small refrigerator all day with a bar on the end. I don't see how guys do it? Then you see some guy half my size doing it and they must have retard strength?

Sorry, but I hate the "what's the saw worth threads", for a number of reasons! :taped:

On some forums, "money talk" isn't allowed at all - but a total prohibition likely wouldn't work on this one, because of the sponsors....

Sorry, but I hate the "what's the saw worth threads", for a number of reasons! :taped:

On some forums, "money talk" isn't allowed at all - but a total prohibition likely wouldn't work on this one, because of the sponsors....

Then why open the thread up? The title says it all. I'm 20 years old with a huge passion for saws. I really want to learn the ins and outs of fixing and diagnosing saws. I see a used saw with a problem. Not having all the money in the world I come here to get second opinions on something that could possibly put me in the hole. I get all the answers to my question and learn a lot, pretty much exactly where to start with buying a used 066 in different conditions.

Or I could not never start the thread and not get a good idea, an example we'll say of how to purchase a used saw with the knowledge of this group.

Alright boys. Everyone take it easy.

Here's your answer:

up to $100 - 066 basketcase
$100-$150 - 066 with a smoked cylinder and missing parts
$150-$200 - 066 with a smoked cylinder, has all parts but not great cosmetically
$200-$250 - 066 OEM p/c good, non-running, seller is unsure why, rest of parts are there
$250-$300 - 066 OEM p/c good, running but with 'carb' problems
$300-$350 - 066 running, cosmetics aren't great
$350-$400 - 066 running, cosmetics are good, aftermarket parts have been used for a rebuild
$400-$450 - 066 running, cosmetics are mediocre, all OEM
$450-$600 - 066 all OEM, cosmetically good
over $600 - it better be all OEM and ready to rock

This is the best I can remember from the past couple years of watching fleabay. I'm sure my numbers and descriptions aren't perfect, but it's a damn good start and I just saved you a bunch of learning, which took me about 3 years or so to attain. Enjoy.

Back