08-S Bar questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat4go

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

Forgive the silly questions but I'm learning here. I have an 08S powerhead that I got from my now deceased great-uncle about 20 years ago and it was an old saw at that time!! When I got it, it had a bar and chain, but I disassembled it to clean it up, then I moved a couple times and either the bar and chain got purged or it's in a box somewhere never to be found again. From memory, it had a 3/8" .404 chain on it and that's consistent with what I've found on the web. It runs pretty well (unloaded) and sounds like my first dirt bike, so there's some cool factor there.

I'm just a firewood guy and have another much newer saw, but I'd love to get this one usable as a back-up or to unstick my primary when I do something stupid.

It looks like the newer Stihls still use the same larger mount that this saw has, so I THINK a new bar is available. Is this true?

Because this saw would just be a back-up at best, I'm reluctant to spend $120 for an OEM B and C, so I got wondering how hard it'd be to put a smaller bar on it. This is especially lucrative because my other saw uses the smaller mount and I could convince myself to move a bar from that saw to the 08S and get a new bar for the other saw. Other saw uses a 3/8 chain as well, so I think the sprocket on the 08S is good as-is.

When I look at what I'd need to do to make a small mount bar work, it appears the oil holes are a ways off and the bar studs on the 08s are too big. Making the studs smaller isn't tough, but the oill holes look like the biggest challenge. i'm not super interested in modifying the saw (other than the studs) if it can be avoided, but hacking up a bar might be OK.

Has anyone done this? Am I wasting my time and as such, should just get off my wallet and get a proper new bar and chain vs cobbling something together?

Thanks!

Never had an 08S but read that they take an Oregon E031 mount. 14mm stud slot. Measure your bar studs to confirm. Take some grinding to fit 12mm D025 large Stihl. Then gotta see about oiler holes.
Maybe there is a 14mm bar that is common today.

I have an 08S that my buddy pulled out of the scrap bin at the dump when no one was looking. It's 2-3 down on my get running list. What I don't understand is you say your's is 3/8 .404. The 3/8 pitch and .404 pitch are different pitches, and can't be the same. .404 is noticeably bigger. My 08S has .404.

I have an 08S that my buddy pulled out of the scrap bin at the dump when no one was looking. It's 2-3 down on my get running list. What I don't understand is you say your's is 3/8 .404. The 3/8 pitch and .404 pitch are different pitches, and can't be the same. .404 is noticeably bigger. My 08S has .404.
Ugggh. Mistake on my part. I'd just been talking about chain pitch with a co-worker and gapped out.

I meant 3/8"/ 0.063.

Sorry!

Latest posts

Back