084 am I using the wrong coil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Picked up a used 084 that had a stripped spark plug hole. Pulled the head tapped the spark hole and put a threaded insert in the hole with loctite. This unit had a coil with 2 screws, and 2 pickups? facing the flywheel, but it would not spark. Took a coil off another working 084 in the shop to test the saw, this one has 3 screws and 3 pickups facing the flywheel. The saw runs but trying to start it, it kicks back really bad, almost tore my arm. Now my question, is it the coil? or a possibly bad repair/angle at the spark hole? Unit with 3 holes on the coil and 3 pickups does not kick at all. Are the coils different in function and appearance? Both flywheels look the same. I am also wondering if it is neither and the decompression valve might be bad and kicking off too early? Thanks for any help, I am going to ice my arm down again.

Dadatwins- I think all the 084's have the 2 keyways Fish mentioned. If it turns out yours doesn't, contact me- I think I have a like new used flywheel at my shop. I can roll it south on I-95 so you can easily pick it up. Bill.

So we are thinking this is a bad or misaligned flywheel? What about the difference in the coils 2 screws/sensors vs 3 screws/sensors? Thanks.

No, not a bad flywheel. I've seen them with 2 keyways. Take the nut off your flywheel, look for a second keyway, and try that one out. Using the wrong one will give you the problems you mentioned.

Chris B.

I can send you the tech note if you want. Email me (not PM).

The problem is almost definitely the flywheel slots. With the flywheel facing you and the slots to the bottom, the three leg coil uses the right most slot.

If you have an air gap too big, this type of coil will go into "fail-safe" mode which is full retard (not your current problem), and run like cr?p.

Last edited:
Fish said:
I find it hard to believe the forum's blowhards have not hopped in yet....

Everyone was just give you a chance to say more than two words! You could have said "keyways, two", but you didn't :)

Dadatwins said:
So we are thinking this is a bad or misaligned flywheel? What about the difference in the coils 2 screws/sensors vs 3 screws/sensors? Thanks.

2 screws is the old "RPM limiting coil" (real bad design for a saw). The 3 screw version is the newer "not speed limiting" version. It has multi-stage timing to assist with starting etc.

So the 2 screw coils may not be bad, the flywheel is just not hitting them right because of the key slot alignment. I will pull the flywheel and check it out, it sounds like the 3 screw coil is the better choice anyway. I will check in and hopfully have some good news. Thanks again.

Lakeside, how do I e-mail things from my copy of media cat? I am not computer literate enough to figure out how.

Popped the flywheel, moved it over to the other slot and bingo, saw pulls like a champ!
2 pulls on choke and 1 partial throttle and she was purrrring like a big kitten. Thanks for the help.

Fish said:
Lakeside, how do I e-mail things from my copy of media cat? I am not computer literate enough to figure out how.

The tech notes are easy as they are all in Adobe Acrobat format. Bring anyone of them up on the screen, then in the upper left of the ADOBE tool bar (top of the page area) are three symbols : a diskette (means SAVE), a Printer (means PRINT) and the picture of Earth with an envelope across it - This is the EMAIL symbol. Just click on it and it will bring up your default email editor (like Outlook or Outlook express), and it will automatically attach the PDF file. I often save it first with a new name (ike 84fly.PDF), so it means more than the internal name and I can find it later.

Not seeing these symbols on my version, just the printer. I can click print, but it sends the file to the printer, then it gives me a message in German, then nothing, other than a new icon on my desktop in german as well

hmmm, the symbols are from ADOBE Acrobats tool bar, not Media cat. Not sure how you can't see them.... unless you have PRESSED F8 at some time... this hides the tool bars... .

Open any tech note. Directly below the title of the Tech Note, do you see a line of symbols at the top of the document , some of which are zoom, Search, cut and paste, pan, save, print, email etc? if not, Press F8 and the tool bar will appear. Press it again, and will disappear.

What version of Acrobat reader are you using?

Latest posts

Back