084 oil pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

footer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 084 doesnt seem to be getting enough oil to the bar even when holding down the button for extra oil. Does any one know if this is a common problem, and if so, can the oil pump be changed without any specialty tools?

no "special tools" but you will need to look at the service manual on www.giftsofwood.com.

Take you pump off, clean all the oil path including the pickup in the tank, and soak the pump in gas for a while. These are very reliable devices, and usually there is just some crud inside one part.

Before tearing your saw down, make sure you bar oil inlet hole is clear... if you've flipped your bar over without cleaning out the the hole that was on the bottom, it will likely be blocked.

Lakeside53,
I have checked the oil hole. In fact, I just about have to take the bar off and clean out the slot and hole before I use the saw. It doesn't seem to have enough pressure to push out the least bit of saw dust.

I think you'll find you should be pumping the button, not holding it down. It's an extra manually operated pump, not a valve to let more oil through. I've been wrong before though........................

oil pump

Have you ever cleaned the oil tank with gas? Empty the oil tank and slosh some gas around in it, then dump the gas out to check you didn't have sawdust in your oil tank. It happens. :)

if you need a NOS (new old stock) 084 oil pump rebuild kit contact Dean at Washington Hot Saws, he has several in stock, in the sealed factory packaging :)

PWB said:
I think you'll find you should be pumping the button, not holding it down. It's an extra manually operated pump, not a valve to let more oil through. I've been wrong before though........................

If I remember right from the owners manual, on the 084, when you hold the button down, it increases the flow while holding it in. Pumping it does nothing. I'll try and look it up.

footer said:
If I remember right from the owners manual, on the 084, when you hold the button down, it increases the flow while holding it in. Pumping it does nothing. I'll try and look it up.
Like I said, I've been wrong before. Please do look it up. I've got one I'm working on (basket case). Saw the button, just "assumed" because teh last saw I saw that button on was an monster of an old homie with a manual only oiler.

I am looking at buying an 084 for a great price. The saw was ran with the brake on for a little while and they say it will cut but not oil. Anyway for the price I will give it a shot.

Latest posts

Back